Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Detergent without fabric softener (sachet) 2017/10/16 18:10
Hi all,

Do you have any recommendation of laundry detergent without fabric softener, preferably in small packets/sachets? How to identify whether the detergent contains softener?

I'm planning to do frequent washing of the hiking apparels which does not allow for fabric softener and does not recommend perfume, etc. Standard detergent is sufficient, but wondering how to choose the correct one.

Thank you.
by Moccy  

Re: Detergent without fabric softener (sachet) 2017/10/16 21:53
One of the more popular detergents in Japan is ATTACK (ah-ta-k-ku). I don't think it has softener in it, and I also don't know if it comes in small packages. But if you see it, then give it a try. It contains enzymes which supposedly get clothes really clean. I always bring back as much as I can when visiting Japan.

If you are worried about scents while hiking, it is possible that baking soda might help. As a pre-soak, it gets rid of odors, and softens water. It's inexpensive, and good for stomach problems, brushing teeth, for insect bites, and so on. It is best to use it in conjunction with a detergent, but if you are more worried about odors, then give it a try.

You can easily test this at home, before you leave. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use baking soda in a stream, whereas I would feel uncomfortable putting soap suds into one. Maybe do your washing in a plastic bag or camping wash basin. Dumping soap suds on the ground is good for plants.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Detergent without fabric softener (sachet) 2017/10/17 08:01
Detergent with softener and perfume is limited.
If you buy the cheapest washing detergent(powder or liquid), they don't normally contain softener and perfume.
AEON and Seiyu both sell their private brand washing detergent. They do not contain softener and strong perfume.
https://www.the-seiyu.com/front/commodity/00000000/994973450116620/
https://www.topvalu.net/items/detail/4549741278508/

Kao"Attack" and Lion"TOP" both well known brand in JP, but a bit strong perfume contain for me.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Detergent without fabric softener (sachet) 2017/10/17 12:18
Kao's brand Attack comes in small sachets, 10 to a box. These are generally available at the convenience store, as they are suitable for travellers and tourists. I use them when travelling, one pack can be used twice if you only have a small wash, but if using a washing machine, one sachet works well. I have not noticed a strong perfume at all. It comes in a teal green box.
There is another brand by Lion , with the name Top in Japanese with with 5 sachets 20gm size. This is a white box with wide red band and a smaller blue band. I don't believe this has fabric softener either. It says its suitable for travel or coin laundry, and gets rid of bad smells. Also available at convenience store.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Detergent without fabric softener (sachet) 2017/10/17 12:31
Kao and Unilever have also come out with a liquid in small sachets for travel called Nanox, which is antibacterial and advertise it is good for sports clothes.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread