Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Year's Eve 2017/10/16 20:11
Hello!

Would it be a good idea to visit Japan during NYE, or should I avoid it?

Thank you!
by Costa (guest)  

Re: New Year's Eve 2017/10/17 12:56
I personally wouldnt. But everyone is different.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: New Year's Eve 2017/10/17 18:25
Well, there are probably three arguments against it:
- It is rather cold that time of the year
- around New Year and the first few days of the new year, many places are closed
- Apart from Hatsumode, there isn't a lot of New Year feeling around. I.e. no big fireworks etc.

I am pretty sure that other people will also have good arguments in favor.

This said, it is not a bad time to visit. If I were free to choose the time point to visit, I would choose May, right after Golden Week or Mid-Sep to Mid-Oct.

Enjoy your trip to Japan, whenever it may be.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: New Year's Eve 2017/10/17 20:36
Thank you very much.

The issue is: I have only end december and begginig january to travel. I am considering between leaving Japan in 29 december or 2nd january.
by Costa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New Year's Eve 2017/10/17 20:58
The days (daylight-before someone comes and says the length of the day is the same) are super short as well....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: New Year's Eve 2017/10/17 21:27
So if your question is to either leave on 29th Dec or 2nd Jan, I would leave on the 2nd, as it gives you 4 more days in Japan, right? So even if not everything is open, there are still things to see and do.
Obviously it also depends on your alternative plans for New Years Eve.

Enjoy your winter trip!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: New Year's Eve 2017/10/17 21:49
I am combining Japan and California.
If I leave Japan 12/29, I will include Las Vegas in these 4 extra days.
by Costa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New Year's Eve 2017/10/17 22:05
New Year's Eve in Japan and the first three days of the New Year are very special. You can't experience anything like it in any other day or any other place. And for that reason, touristic places are crowded while commercial places are closed. But in fact, it's one of the least crowded days in commercial places as well as residential places. It's up to you.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread