Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/18 17:58
I have gotten frustrated in waiting for my favorite manga to be licensed in english so i am trying to learn to translate them myself. To be clear I do not intend to do any scantalations or uploading to manga sites. I plan to buy the manga and translate it for myself only. I am using a manga i already bought from japan to learn the kanji with study materials. Most of the first page make sense to me but I cannot figure out this one bubble. I just don't see where the translator got "We'll be able to meet" from the kanji. Could anyone at least give me a break down of where the words begin and end please? To give it context the character is looking forward to meeting her years long fiance for the first time. thanks for any help.
https://reneemcdonaldblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/18/question/
by Renee (guest)  

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 11:26
‚â‚Á‚Æ - finally (or at last).
‚â‚Á‚Æ‚¨ˆ§‚¢‚Å‚«‚é‚Ì‚Ë - finally able to meet (or meeting at last)

The subject "we" is not specifically written, but that is common in conversations.
by Ang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 11:30
‚â‚Á‚Æcc

‚â‚Á‚Æ
‚¨ˆ§‚¢‚Å‚«‚é‚Ì‚Ë

...is what is written, and it says:
"Finally......
Finally
I will be able to meet" (with positive expectations)

You might know the simpler word/kanji for "meet," which is ‰ï‚¤ (au/aimasu),
which can also be written as ˆ§‚¤ (slightly different nuances from@‰ï‚¤).
The humble form (with respect for the other party) is ‚¨‰ï‚¢ ‚·‚é or ‚¨ˆ§‚¢ ‚·‚é
This is further turned into "can meet," which is ‚¨ˆ§‚¢ ‚Å‚«‚é.

The ‚Ì‚Ë at the end is:
‚Ì (you might have learned the emphatic ‚Ì or ‚ñ if you picked up any grammar)
‚Ë (ending often used in rather female speech)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 13:09
thank you for all your help. i have found the hardest thing is knowing when words begin and end. so is i understand correctly. ‚â‚Á‚Æ is "finally", ‚¨ is an honorific prefix meant to show respect i am guessing. ˆ§‚¢ is "to encounter or to meet" ‚Å is a particle meaning "at" in this instance ‚«‚é is working as a verb suffix to emphasize "to encounter" with a meaning of "meeting at last" ‚Ì is a particle that shows possession meaning "I will meet" i am guessing. and ‚Ë is the equivalent of "huh or right?" Most often used with females.

thanks so much for the help. i have a lot of time on my hands to learn this and i love that it is challenging. plus i really really love manga and there are so many good ones that do not get translated into english. i do go to the manga sites but only for the ones that are not available in english. it really sucks to read half a story and then get cut off from it. Beyond not being able to finish a story I really want the ability to support the artist by buying their manga and being able to read it.
by renee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 13:29
You are doing it wrong.

If you want to be able to read Japanese-language material, you need to learn Japanese properly, not in the haphazard way you seem to be doing it currently.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 13:39
I also recommend you properly learn the grammar first. Have you read my breakdown explanation?

About your interpretation:
- You are right about "yatto"
- ‚¨... ‚·‚é (as in o-ai-suru) in combination is honorific expression
- ‚¨ˆ§‚¢‚·‚é as I mentioned comes from the verb ˆ§‚¤ (plain form) or ˆ§‚¢‚Ü‚· (polite form), don't just learn it as ˆ§‚¢
- ‚Å‚«‚é is the "can do" suffix. You cannot split up "de + kiru" here
- ‚Ì here has nothing to do with possessive.

To know where words begin and end, you need to know the grammar.

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 13:45
Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the resources to take a class. I have zero money to devote to this. I am making the best I can out of library books, internet information, free apps and YouTube. Most likely will take me much longer this way but it is the only option I have. If you know of any free classes to learn Japanese then please direct me. All I have found are sites that give enough Info to be confusing and no options to ask questions.

I am using manga to learn because that is all I am interested in reading. Plus manga is everywhere. It was quite easy find a manga that was already translated and buy the original.
by Renee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 13:47
Any recommendations on a good book for learning the grammar?

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 14:02
I will probably read your answer a lot until I understand it. To give you context, I am a shut in. I have epilepsy, ptsd, and major depression. It seems haphazard because that's how I am doing everything. I haven't left my room in months. My theory is using my brain for something other than tv will help me. Finding good resources is challenging.

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 14:36
Hope you will get better soon.

As an internet resource you could look into
https://nihongoshark.com/

He also sends out a daily email explaining some grammar point. And it's for free.

For Kanji learning I guess that Heisig method is very good.
"Remembering the Kanji 1: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters"
I haven't used it personally as I started with a different book, but should have used this one in retrospect.

Regarding grammar, the best probably is "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar". It comes in 3 levels and explains each grammar point.

I think you will still need a text book to complement it, as this grammar book is not thought to be used for studying on its own.

As text books Minna no Nihongo isn't bad, but not great either. If someone has a different suggestion, that might be fine too.

Enjoy learning Japanese and hopefully it will help you in your overall recovery.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: looking for help with kanji translation 2017/10/19 17:40
It doesn't have to be classes. If you search for textbook information on this Forum, you'd probably bump into "Genki" and other series of textbooks mentioned by other learners :)

I'm not discouraging you; it is just that the way you are going about it is completely haphazard (and your breakdown of words were wrong), and because Japanese and English languages do not compare word to word, you need to learn the sentence structures first. Only then you'd be able to make good guesses.

Also manga is not the best place to start, as they are a mixture of colloquial and polite speeches, and full of colloquial expressions.

BTW, your text here is written quite coherently, so I am sure you can concentrate enough to sit down good to learn the Japanese language, if you find the means for it.

reply to this thread