Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko itinerary/getting around questions 2017/10/19 18:19
Hi all

I'll be flying to Tokyo for a week's solo vacation. Since it's autumn leaves season, I think it'll be a good idea to slip in a visit to Nikko.

1. Is this a realistic and enjoyable itinerary for a day trip from Tokyo, or am I best advised to stay overnight (I can't fit in 2 nights in Nikko though; please correct me if I've made any mistakes):-

a. Catch the 7:00 a.m. Tobu Limited Express SPACIA Train from Tobu-Asakusa Station, arrive at Tobu-Nikko Station at around 9:20 a.m.
b. Walk/bus to Shinkyo Bridge, Toshogu Shrine and Tamozawa Imperial Villa, allocate around 2 hours for both places (priority Toshogu Shrine)
c. Have a quick lunch nearby
e. Catch bus to go along Irohazaka Winding Road
f. Take Akechidaira Ropeway to obsevation deck
g. Catch bus to descend to Kegon Falls and visit base observation deck
h. EITHER catch bus to Chuzenji Onsen, take boat to cross to Chuzenji Temple, and take bus to Mount Hangetsuyama observation deck
OR catch bus to Ryuzuku Falls
OR take pleasure cruise around Lake Chuzenji
i. Return to Tokyo (I'm flexible with the return time, but I gather there's nothing really happening at night in Nikko)

2. Personally, going along the Irohazaka up to Akechidaira Plateau will be an essential part of the trip (but if you think it's overrated, do comment). I understand that you can see Lake Chuzenji and Kegon Falls from there. Would it be repetitive then to also go to the base observation deck at Kegon Falls or the observation deck at Mount Hangetsuyama (which I gather also oversees Lake Chuzenji), or are the views/sights there actually quite different?

3. I read that there's a hiking trial between Akechidaira Plateau to Mount Hangetsuyama. How long should I expect the hike to take? Is it difficult? Are there any websites with more info on this?

4. Re 1c above, are there actually any restaurants near Toshogu Shrine/Tamozawa Imperial Villa area, or would I have to go back to the city centre near the railway stations?

5. Is the Senjogahara Plateau Nature Trail, combined perhaps with Yudaki Waterfall and Yumoto Onsen, worth an overnight stay? (I gather it'll take around 3 hours to complete, so there's no way I can fit the hike in a day trip without ditching other spots). FYI, the onsen hotels are out of my budget, so I'll be staying in the various hostels in the city centre.

6. Assuming that I'm sticking more or less with the itinerary in paragraph 1 above and not going as far as Senjogahara/Yudaki/Yumoto/various onsen resorts and theme parks, is there any point in actually getting a Nikko All Area Pass or even a Nikko City Area Pass? I'm aware that my proposed destinations are within the Okunikko region (so the Area Pass seems to be the preferable choice), but it seems that the pass only gives me a 20% discount on the Limited Express SPACIA Train fare - i.e. I still need to pay on top of paying for the pass. Given the Area pass is JPY4,520 (and the City Pass is JPY2,670), I can't imagine that the savings in bus fares and other various discounts in admission tickets will allow me to break even, especially when I'm just staying for 2 days 1 night max.
by NoviceFlaneur (guest)  

Re: Nikko itinerary/getting around questions 2017/10/20 13:21
Overall, your itinerary looks too ambitious for a day trip. When I went 6 months ago (not on holiday or weekend), the bus was so crowded that driver could not stop to pick up more passengers at some stops. Weekdays seem to be packed with school kids on their field trip, and the elevator to/from observation deck of the Kegon Falls had long lines. Waiting for a non-packed bus and lines at the elevator take up lots of your time. If you do get on a bus, I would go straight to Toshogu, and then walk back towards the highway (Hwy 120) where you can visit several more temples/shrines on the way (some were under restoration). There are places to eat near or along the highway.
by daylight (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko itinerary/getting around questions 2017/10/20 14:35
We've done day trip from Tokyo to Nikko (arriving in Nikko around 9), have covered Kegon Falls, Chuzenji Lake, and Toshogu Shrine and other temples, Shinkyo bridge, at a comfortable pace.

What gets really crowded is the bus, as the earlier poster mentioned. So I recommend taking the bus straight up to Akechidaira upon your arrival in Nikko (as the bus stop to go there is only available on the bus "up"), then go to Kegon Falls, then see what time it gets you and decide if you have time to do the Chuzenji Temple and Hangetsuyama, then take the bus down to the shrines/temple area. That way you don't have to worry about not being able to get on the bus "up" the winding road. From the temple area back to the station, you "could" walk. Also if the bus is too packed you could walk from Akechidaira to Kegon Falls.

2. I recommend going to the base observation deck at Kegon Falls. Up close, it looks impressive.

5. If you are into hiking, it is a very nice area. We've stayed over right by the Chuzenji Lake and have done the hike down from Yumoto Onsen area. If you stay over in Nikko city center to do the hike next morning, be sure to start early and go all the way up to the top (Yumoto Onsen) and walk down. Again the bus can be crowded.

6. Probably the bus fare changed in the meantime, but I recall that a one-way bus fare from the Nikko station to Lake Chuzenji area was already 1,000 or 1,150 yen or so. So if you make a return trip... (but please look up the updated fared).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko itinerary/getting around questions 2017/10/20 15:14
#6 - did you know there is a 2 day bus pass? The one I mainly use covers from the railway station (JR because I don't tend to use Tobu railways) to the lake/Kegon Falls for Y2,000 and represents a saving even on the basic round trip. (There are different coverage areas. )
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko itinerary/getting around questions 2017/10/20 15:39
Check out the bus passes available in Nikko area. there are seven. I'm sure you can find one that fits your needs.

http://www.tobu-bus.com/en/nikko/pdf/nikko_en_3.pdf?201708
by Basu Pasu (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread