Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/20 23:10
Greetings,

My wife and I visited Japan in the Fall 2013 using the the 15D14N Itinerary suggested by Japan-Guide. In the Spring of 2018, I want to take my wife and our 2 young kids (3 and 1 at the time of travel) back to Japan to see cherry blossom. We are planning to go there in the last week of March. This upcoming trip will be 7D6N and we want to spend the first half of the week in Tokyo and the other half in Kyoto. Since my wife and I have already visited these 2 cities before, this time, we only want to visit popular places to enjoy the cherry blossom. With that said, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help.

1- Is the last week of March too late or too early to see cherry Blossom in Tokyo and Kyoto?
2- With 3 days in each city, what are your recommendation for places to go to see cherry blossom?
3- We didn't go to Mount Fuji in our last trip, should we take one day trip to visit Mount Fuji this time to see the cherry blossom there?
4- Is it going to be a problem with 2 young children going to Mount Fuji? If we don't plan on hiking to the top, are there anything worthwhile to do at the foot of the mountain?
5- Are kids 3 years and younger travel free on JR lines? Or do I need JR 7 day passes for them as well?
6- We will be using the JR trains to get around the cities, but in case we need to use taxi, are there going to be problems for us without car seat? (We plan to bring umbrella stroller and baby carrier. I also read somewhere that car seat is not required in taxi cabs)
7- Any other suggestions from experience travelers with young kids?
8- Anything else I should know about traveling to Japan with young kids?

This is our first trip travelling oversea with our children so it is both exciting and nerve-racking :)

Thanks!
John
by theogn8219  

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/21 12:46
Regards Mt Fuji - The Fuji 5 Lakes area does have many things to do and see that are kid friendly. Cherry Blossums included. I'd suggest reading up on the section from this website. There is no need to climb the mountain.

regards stroller - I would suggest not to bring the umbrella stroller with you to Japan. Shrines/temple/parks with steps and stations with one hidden away elevator are not stroller friendly. Just bring the baby chest/back carrier.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/21 14:11
I'm going to semi-disrespectfully disagree with Hakata-san. While in my case, I am very glad I didn't bring a stroller and everyone here talked me out of it (my child was 5 and 3/4 her first trip), I met an Australian family desperate to buy one in Kyoto when their 3 year old could do a lot less walking than they expected and they didn't want to keep carrying them. So I would say it depends on how much you plan to do? Umbrella strollers can fold up quite small and can be quite light. When mine was 3 I could have managed going up stairs with the stroller and the kid, however not with suitcases as well. You might need to do a lot of takyuubinning. I also would avoid local buses like in Kyoto with a stroller.

Children under 6 are free on all trains/subways/buses however being free means they are also not entitled to a seat without a ticket/pass. So if you take the shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, both your children are free, but they will be on your laps the entire trip unless there are empty seats. (However if a paying passenger wants that seat you would be expected to relinquish it and if someone shows up in the reserved section with a reserved seat, they are entitled to it as well.) March can be crowded so there might not be free seats so don't count on that. So I guess you need to decide if you want your kid on your lap the whole train trip/bus trip.

I think a bigger problem is sakura is hard to time for. I got close to peak at the end of March in '08 but I know people who got peak the second week of April last year. I think Tokyo was 2-10 last year and Kyoto was more like the 7-15. So March might have the start, but it really depends on the weather. :/

I don't know taxi laws in Japan but I know for rental cars a child seat is required until a child is 7.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/21 14:28
Regarding sakura: it's hard to predict the future, but this year 2017 in Tokyo, sakura was in "full bloom" around April 6. Of course, you can still enjoy them before and after the full bloom (some people prefer like 80% full). I visited about 5 favorite spots for Sakura viewing, and I liked Shinjuku Gyoen the best. Near Fuji 5 Lakes area, Sakura season starts much later (due to the higher altitude and colder air), and you are not likely to see them in bloom during your visit.
by edokko101 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/21 15:20
In regards Kyoto with children here is a link to some itineraries designed with that in mind. I believe the author is also the person who wrote the Kyoto section in Lonely Planet's Japan book.

https://www.insidekyoto.com/kyoto-itineraries-families-children

Arashiyama and the monkey park there can be a good outing for young children.

As stated above, it's hard to predict cherry blossom peak accurately, whether you catch a glimpse here or there during your stay consider it an added bonus but shouldn't be your main focus.

Like stated above, I don't think that the Fuji Five Lakes or Hakone would be be of much entertainment for your children, maybe the pirate ship ride in Lake Ashi for the 3 year old could be enjoyable but is it worth going there just for that and stressing about transport in that hilly area with 2 children, a stroller, a back carrier and a small bag with the children's requirements such as drinks, snacks and nappies, etc.?

Personally, if I had children of that age I wouldn't go to Mt Fuji or Hakone with them as a family of independent travelers. I may consider joining an organised bus tour to this area if they allow children of this age on board, at least I don't have to worry about train and/or bus hopping, and the lake cruise and ropeway are included in the tour fee. Unless you want to hire a car and drive around there, but personally I don't like to drive in other countries.
by ----- (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/21 15:38
A1- Too early, in general. Average peak dates and ranges in below.

Tokyo: 2 Apr, 21 Mar(in 2002), 17 Apr(in 1984)
Kyoto: 7 Apr, 28 Mar(in 2002), 17 Apr(in 1984)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_de_floraison_des_cerisiers#Dates

A2- Top 3 in popularity by Japanese. Not cared about timing here.

Jorudan
Tokyo: Meguro River, Shinjuku Gyoen, Rikugien.
Kyoto: Yodogawa River Park, Ninna-ji, Daigo-ji.
https://sp.jorudan.co.jp/hanami/tokyo.html
https://sp.jorudan.co.jp/hanami/kyoto.html

WalkerPlus
Tokyo: Rikugien, Meguro River, Ueno Park
Kyoto: Daigo-ji, Yodogawa River Park, Heian Jingu
https://hanami.walkerplus.com/list/ar0313/
https://hanami.walkerplus.com/list/ar0726/

EnjoyTokyo
Tokyo: Meguro River, Chidorigafuchi, Yoyogi Park
https://www.enjoytokyo.jp/feature/hanami/ranking/

I believe Yoyogi Park should be very good for a party with children. You may try to read the below with a translator on the net.

Top 5 with children in Tokyo. No 4 is Ueno Park.
http://www.xn--m9j511jg9bwred62d.com/1650.html

Top 8 with children in Kyoto. No 3 is Yodogawa River Park.
http://kodomotoasobo.pbchi.com/archives/3666.html
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/21 15:44
I have glanced the links in insidekyoto and trulytokyo. Both of them looks too quick. Just a thought.
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/21 17:47
Your 3 yr old will be nearer to 4 by next March.
When we took our 3 yr old, we took her scooter. Easier for her than walking...folds down for trains...and if she ever got really tired we had a strap that went round the handlebars and we could pull her along.
You've got 5 months now to get her in practice and build up her stamina...

And remember that Kyoto rooms are in high demand at blossom time.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/23 03:43
Thanks so much for your responses. I think we will bring an umbrella stroller with us for our 3 years old. She loves walking around but wont be able to stay on her feet all day.

We went to Hakone already so this time we would like to visit The Fuji 5 Lakes area. Do you think one day should be enough to see some of the attractions and to see Cherry Blossom?

Additionally, are public restrooms available in the Tokyo and Kyoto area? Are they easy to find? In our previous trip, we didn't have to worry about looking for public restroom, however, with 2 little kids this time, it is on top of our worry list.
by theogn8219 rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/23 06:46
No need to worry about public restrooms. I don't know any other country with that many public restrooms as Japan.
Generally all sightseeing spots will have one. Plus most children playgrounds. Plus in Tokyo you can simply go into a big store and use theirs. Or shopping arcades.
Also all (well nearly all) train stations and subway stations have restrooms.
Often they are indicated with men/women symbol. Otherwise typical kanjis are:
お手洗い、化粧室、トイレ、便所

Quality of toilets does vary. There are some that are quite rudimentary and others that come with Hightech Japanese toilets. Also deprecate rooms with diaper changing stations are common.

One thing you might remember from your previous stay, is that public dustbins are very infrequent. For bottles there are besides the vending machines but for everything else there are only dust bins at some stations. Even in some toilets you are expected to bring back the used diaper.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 2 young kids to Japan 2017/10/23 11:20
Thanks everyone! We are looking forward to this trip :)
by theogn8219 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread