Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

13 days in Tokyo Alone too long? 2017/10/21 00:24
First time travelling to Japan. Dates are 8th - 21st. I just want to go to Tokyo for now. Do you think 13 days is too long? I know it's different for everyone but i just want to see what others think.
by vancouverite30  

Re: 13 days in Tokyo Alone too long? 2017/10/21 11:50
There are more things to see and do in Tokyo than you can complete in 13 days, so you won't have problem finding new things everyday.

But if you want, you can venture out a little (not too far, all within a day trip distances) and see different aspects of Japan. Like: Kamakura, Hakone, Mt Fuji area, Nikko, etc.

by edokko101 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 13 days in Tokyo Alone too long? 2017/10/21 11:50
There's certainly enough to do in Tokyo to fill up 13 days. If that's what you want to do, go ahead.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: 13 days in Tokyo Alone too long? 2017/10/21 12:00
And if you get tired of Tokyo you can go to :
Kita Kamakura, Kamakura, Enoshima, mt Takao, Yokohama, Nikko...
The advantage of staying all days in Tokyo also means that you can freely decide when to do a day trip.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 13 days in Tokyo Alone too long? 2017/10/21 16:14
I would personally go somewhere else for a few days. For a first trip probably the classic choice of Kyoto. Roughly three days Tokyo, four in Kyoto and then back to Tokyo for the remainder. That was my 1st itinerary. That way you get to experience the Shinkansen as well. However as others have said there is more than enough to do in Tokyo & plenty of day trips if that is what you want to do. The choice is yours. BTW you don't say which month
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 13 days in Tokyo Alone too long? 2017/10/21 22:28
Hey!

During my first trip to Japan, I was almost too scared to do daytrips and spent a majority of my 11 days in Tokyo, discovering plenty of things. But it's in the end, just another city and I felt regret having missed out on so many other locations when going home. Thankfully I made a japanese friend and we went on a daytrip to Fuji (which was foggy) with a boat trip and discovering an old japanese town. Best day ever!

If I can give you a bit of advice, spend one entire week, Monday to Sunday (for example) in Tokyo.

See all the sights, get to know people, try to find a good bar which you visit 3-4 times at night (more of a chance that people will start talking to you that way) and get a feeling for Japan.

You'll then have 6 remaining days. Try one daytrip, just a single one, where you don't have to change trains. You'll surely find something that you can't see in Tokyo and which will be interesting to you. In the evening, after having made it back safely from a hopefully lovely daytrip, you'll feel more courageous.

Spend another day in Tokyo to recover and then see if you're up for a second daytrip?

13 days in Tokyo might be great for you, but won't you feel sad not having seen Fuji, Izu-Peninsula with Atami and Shimoda, Kamakura, etc.?
by Carine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 13 days in Tokyo Alone too long? 2017/10/24 23:46
Thanks for the reply everyone. That is awesome. Sorry I forgot to say its this December! so I can't wait.
by vancouverite30 rate this post as useful

Re: 13 days in Tokyo Alone too long? 2017/10/25 01:16
If you just want to see Tokyo, you will fill 24 days.
If you want to see some of Japan as well as Tokyo, go elsewhere for a few days.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread