Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

9 day Japan trip - advice needed 2017/10/21 06:59
Hi all! I'd like to know if this itinerary is doable, if it's too packed, or if there are any good places I've missed that are worth going to. What would you change?

For reference, I'm traveling with my parents and adult siblings on this trip. I've tried to keep it from being too walking-intensive as my parents have leg pain issues.

Our interests: Natural attractions (gardens etc.), cheap shopping and thrifting, shops and areas with cool interiors, arcades, architecture, cute stuff, anime/manga. Not too keen on temples.

Fire away!

Day 1 [Hiroshima]: Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hiroshima. Peace Park and Museum.

Stay overnight in Hiroshima.

Day 2 [Miyajima]: Miyajima all day.

Stay overnight in Hiroshima.

Day 3 [Himeji/Osaka]: Shinkansen from Hiroshima to Himeji. Himeji Castle (not going into castle, just the grounds and Kokoen garden). Shinkansen from Himeji to Osaka. Shinsekai, Dotonbori + Shinsaibashi

Stay overnight in Osaka.

Day 4 [Kyoto]: Shinkansen from Osaka to Kyoto. Fushimi Inari (7am). Nishiki Market. Gion/Pontocho. Maruyama Park. Nannenzaka/Sannenzaka. Kodai-ji (night illumination)

Stay overnight in Osaka

Day 5: Need suggestions. Tossing up between Arashiyama area in Kyoto or Nara. Can I fit in Umeda Sky Building at night?

Stay overnight in Osaka.

Day 6 [Odaiba]: Shinkansen from Osaka to Tokyo. Odaiba (DiverCity, Miraikan, Palette Town for Venus Fort outlet shopping, Megaweb and maybe Leisureland)

Stay overnight in Tokyo.

Day 7 [Shibuya/Harajuku]: Shibuya at 10am (Disney store, Tokyu Hands, H&M, lunch at Uobei, Uniqlo). Train to Harajuku (Takeshita Dori, Marion crepes, Kinji, Kiddy Land, Alice on Wednesday)

Stay overnight in Tokyo.

Day 8 [Ikebukuro/Shimokitazawa]: Ikebukuro (Quick shopping at Sunshine city, Pokemon centre, Animate store, Sega arcade). Shimokitazawa (stick out, Garage, Don don down, Muji?)

Stay overnight in Tokyo.

Day 9 [Ghibli Museum]: Ghibli Museum. Last-minute shopping in Shinjuku. Fly out from Narita at 8pm.

Thanks for reading!
by Kokobop (guest)  

Re: 9 day Japan trip - advice needed 2017/10/21 12:13
If you can get an open jaw flight that might be slightly more practical so you don't need to do all the trip down to Hiroshima. But overall I think your pace makes sense.

Re Arashiyama vs Nara, both are great. Just decide on that day. Staying in Osaka you don't need to decide now.

I personally would skip Odaiba completely and for me there is way too much shopping in your itinerary (and not sufficient temples) but that is me, not you.

If you want to see one more garden there is a great one at Yokohama that combines perfectly with Chinatown. Or Hamarikyu in Tokyo, that you could combine with shopping on Odaiba or Ginza. From Odaiba there is actually a boat going to this garden.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 9 day Japan trip - advice needed 2017/10/21 12:59
Day one - 6 hours of travel. Unsure if this is the day you arrive in Japan. But be mindful of the travel time for this day.

All other days seem to work and not be rushed.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: 9 day Japan trip - advice needed 2017/10/21 13:49
I assume you are getting a 7-day JR Pass. If not, you should.

With a JR Pass you can take a Shinkansen between Osaka and Kyoto (Days 4&5), even though it is only a 15 minutes ride. I did it, but I noticed people looking at me funny, including the ticketing agent. Because most Japanese would take an express train for such a short trip, about 30 minutes long, and save a bunch of money. Plus, Shinkansen stops at Shin-Osaka station, not Osaka. So, depending on where you stay in Osaka, it may be faster to take the express train from/to Osaka. But JR Pass includes Shinkansen rides, so there is nothing wrong with using it.

A 15 min trip on Shinkansen was like: you put away your luggage, settle into your seats, drink a can of beverage, then you have to get up and get ready to disembark. All happen fast.
by Tetsuo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 9 day Japan trip - advice needed 2017/10/22 01:47
I would stay in Kyoto not in Osaka - save time on train and enjoy Kyoto at night.
Ghibli - be sure you book your visit in advance.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 9 day Japan trip - advice needed 2017/10/22 02:13
For a trip of this length, I think you should probably drop Hiroshima/miyajima. That's essentially a whole day wasted just in travel. (6 to Hiroshima and 3 back to Kyoto). Or plan to fly to Hiroshima airport first.

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 9 day Japan trip - advice needed 2017/10/22 08:56
Girlwithpearl is right: "Ghibli - be sure you book your visit in advance."

Have a look at JTB, they roughly start the presale 3 months prior. You will want to make sure to buy the tickets on the first opportunity as they run out VERY quickly. I tried in Japan to buy some and went to the ticket machine 9h after the Presse for the next month had opened and already no tickets were left.

So if Ghibli is important be prepared.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread