Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route 2017/10/22 18:09
Hi!

I'm planning a trip to Japan in 2 weeks time and need some help.

I plan to visit the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route and other scenic sights in central of Japan.

I'm thinking of doing the following itinerary:
4 Nov - Arrive in KIX at noon, train to Nagoya, overnight in Nagoya
5 Nov - Nagoya to Shinano-Omachi station, go through the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, overnight in Takayama
6 Nov - Explore Takayama in the morning, and travel to Toyama, overnight in Toyama
7 Nov - Travel to Kanazawa then to Gifu, then back to Osaka, overnight in Osaka
8 Nov - Day trip to Kyoto, overnight in Osaka
9 Nov - Osaka, overnight in Osaka
10 Nov - Osaka, overnight in Osaka
11 Nov - Osaka and flight home in the afternoon

Is it worth checking out the Shin-Hokata Ropeway?

I've booked my accommodation from 7-11 Nov in Osaka, so that can't be changed. But am flexible with the earlier part of the itinerary.

Since there are a few passes available - the Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass, the Takayama Hokuriku Area Pass, the Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass and the 7 Day JR Pass, each offering a different coverage for different areas, which would you recommend?

I'm also ok to do the first part of the itinerary in reverse so that I can use the Takayama Hokuriku pass and skip Nagoya, but it seems that the two way ticket on the alpine route is very expensive.

Thank you so much!
by Valerie (guest)  

Re: Osaka to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route 2017/10/22 21:08
If you buy Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass,

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html

then go straight to Toyama on 4 Nov. Stay there and see the weather forcast. If the weather of Murodo (Tateyama) is fine on 4 Nov morning, take early train to Tateyama and then bus to Murodo (not covered by the pass), which is the highest point of the route and most scenic place. It should be covered with snow and you will enjoy the snowy mountains. Then go back to Toyama and take train to Takayama. If the weather is not good, just skip Tateyama and go to Takayama (stay there). You might consider Shin-Hotaka ropeway if the weather there is fine. On 6 Nov take bus to Shirakawago and explore the small village. Take bus to Kanazawa and stay there. On 7 Nov, see Kanazawa and take train to Osaka.

If you buy The Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass,

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_alpen.html

Go via Nagoya to Matsumoto on 4 Nov and stay there. Take early morning train to Shinano-Omachi and do the Alpine route regardless of the weather condition. At least you will enjoy Kuroyon Dam though you will not see the discharge. Anyway you must go through the Alpine route. You can stay midway such as Murodo. Stay Murodo, Tateyama or Toyama on 5 Nov. If the weather is fine on 6 Nov you can track back to Murodo and then come back to Toyama. After coming back to Toyama go to Takayama and stay there. On 7 Nov, explore Takayama (and Shirakawago), train to Nagoya and then to Osaka. You must buy ticket from KIX to Nagoya and Nagoya to Osaka separately.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route 2017/10/24 10:03
Thank you!!

Based on the suggestion, herefs the revised itinerary:

Day 1, Sat 4 Nov
Arrive at KIX at noon
Travel to Toyama
Overnight in Toyama

Day 2, Sun 5 Nov
Toyama to Tateyama station by railway - 1 hour (1200 yen)
Tateyama to Bijodaira by cablecar - 7min (720 yen)
Bijodaira to Murodo by highway bus - 50min (1710 yen)
Murodo - highest point - sightseeing

Is it worth continuing to the Kurobe Dam? Or should I turn back at this point since I read the Kurobe Dam wouldnft discharge water in Nov?

Murodo to Daikanbo by trolley bus - 10 min (2160 yen)
Daikanbo to Kurobeidaira by ropeway - 7min (1300 yen)
Kurobedaira to Kurobe Dam by cable car 5 min (860 yen)
Kurobe dam + sightseeing cruise

Back to Toyama
Collect baggage
Travel to Takayama
Overnight in Takayama

Day 3, Mon 6 Nov
Explore Takayama town in the morning
Get luggage delivered straight to Osaka hotel
Day trip to Shiragawago
Travel to Kanazawa
Overnight in Kanazawa

Day 4, Tue 7 Nov
Walk around Kanazawa and spend morning here
Travel to Osaka
Overnight in Osaka

Day 5, Wed 8 Nov
Kyoto Day Trip
Overnight in Osaka

Day 6, Thu 9 Nov
Osaka
Overnight in Osaka

Day 7, Fri 10 Nov
Osaka
Overnight in Osaka

Day 8, Sat 11 Nov
Osaka
Flight back in the afternoon from KIX

by Valerie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route 2017/10/24 16:18
Is it worth continuing to the Kurobe Dam? Or should I turn back at this point since I read the Kurobe Dam wouldnft discharge water in Nov?

No. I think you should better just enjoy winter scenery in Murodo. I traveled the whole route this September, and I think the highlight of the route is definitely Murodo.

http://h-tateyama.alpen-route.co.jp/blog/archives/460

Note that if snow storm hits this area, the bus from Bijodaira to Murodo might be suspended. These information will be updated on the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route site.

https://www.alpen-route.com/en/

See Oerating information.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread