Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/23 01:19
I'll be exchanging over 2.000€ there and I would like to know if I'm gonna have problems with 500€ (or even 200€) bills, because I wouldn't want to carry dozens of the small ones on my way there.
by First-timer (guest)  

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/23 16:44
I would feel uncomfortable with so much money and I always use my credit cards for payments where I can and for ATMs when I need it.
Usually the exchange rates at the Currency Exchange offices are not great.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/23 17:37
I never had such problem. They won't have any problem with any bill as long as it's not counterfeit.

I find exchange rate at narita isn't bad at all. May not be the best but fair and acceptable rate.

by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/23 17:38
I brought 300,000 Yen (exchanged home state/country with great rates) PLUS $800 USD into Japan with no problems. I felt safe carrying it around but also a little paranoid. I left most in hotel room (split in various places like safe, suitcases, carryon, etc). Took what I think I needed for the day. Japan is safe. Hotels are safe. Now if you are staying in a hostel...that's a different story...keep it on you at all times.
by hello (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/23 21:17
I have used Travelex (Other currency exchanges are available) at Japanese and English airports and their rates have not been terrible. If you are withdrawing the Euros from your account to exchange I would not bother. Buy the Yen online without fees & you can collect at departure. You can also buy a service to return any Yen you have left at the same exchange rate so you can carry extra & not lose out.
As for safety when in Japan I stay in hotels & just leave my currency in my suitcase with a small lock on it. Japan is that safe.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/23 21:22
You can also call them to confirm: https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/service/svc_11
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/26 18:10
Thanks for all the advice

I'm also nervous about the idea of carrying such amounts of money, but only during the trip itself, once I am there I don't think there will be any problem as long as I keep the money with me all the time.

I was thinking about carrying the "daily expenses money" in a wallet and the rest in a small travel-pouch under my clothes. The credit card seems a safer option (though I have heard of people having their cards duplicated after using them outside their countries), but I don't really want to depend on finding ATMs whenever I need extra cash and the exchange rates might not be convenient at all.

The question of the topic is in regards to the problems I might face while paying with the bigger bills at stores o restaurants. My fear was to receive all the exchanged money in 10.000 yen bills or so.
by First-timer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/26 18:23
Cash is king in Japan. You can hand over 10,000 yen notes without issue almost everywhere.

Even IC payment/top up machines will give change of 10,000 yen notes.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/26 19:23
Be careful at the airport and shop around. As I was returning to the States, I noticed the Travelex stand right at the beginning of the Int. terminal at Haneda and it was packed with people trying to sell their yen....at 118.78/$. I checked my bags with ANA and looked elsewhere. Closer to the security checkpoint, there was a Mizuho Bank branch that was totally available and they were buying my yen for 114.37/$. Shop around the airport-Travelex has worse rates than Mizuho Bank.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/26 19:35
Avoid Travelex generally; city-center offices are no better (but sometimes the're the only one that's open, like early morning on a weekend...).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/26 20:24
Travelex is the best way to solve your problem
by Terylche rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/26 20:39
With my visit to Japn I always carry cash, and everytime it's no less than 700000 yen, and I also have a cc and ATM card for backup incase something happens, 3 times visit (4th time in 1.5 months time in December 2017)already without any problems, Japan is pretty safe. As a few have mentioned, stay away from travellex, they are the worst in exchange rates, even the worst exchange rates in the city is better than them, only use them at your last no option choice.

Have fun.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange in Narita 2017/10/27 04:19
Greenport Agency seems to offer a nice exchange rate, at least when it comes to euros:

https://www.gpa-net.co.jp/ja/passenger-service/rate/
by First-timer (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread