Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 09:49
I will be travelling to Japan for two weeks with my 1,5 years old son who only drinks UHT milk. I'm planning to bring his milk along when we travel. Is it going to be a problem if I bring his milk ( around 5 litres ) when we arrive at the airport? Do they have limitation of how much milk you can bring into the country?

Thanks a lot.
by Kevin (guest)  

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 13:56
I am surprised that you would think that a country as advanced as Japan would not have UHT milk. I did a Google search on "UHT milk in Japan" and got 160,000 hits. The first two answered your exact question.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 14:07
In Japan normal, fresh, good tasting milk is wildly available. Don't make your kid drink UHT milk that doesn't even taste of milk.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 14:26
I am surprised that you would think that a country as advanced as Japan would not have UHT milk.
@ Susan
Some places even if advanced may not have the things we take and use foregranted in our countries.
It wasn't easy to find milk of any sort in Singapore and Singapore is an advanced country.

@Kevin
I can understand your concern about language barriers and the worry of not finding it there, but remember that the milk you bring can spill inside your luggage during the journey if not packed properly. It will also occupy space in your suitcases and contribute to the total weight that you will bring to Japan with you.

You'll find milk in Japan, just google images of how it's written in Japanese and what the packages look like.
If there is a cheep Japanese supermarket such as Daiso in the city where you live, check there for the Japanese UHT milk packages and familiarise yourself with it and get your son to drink it before going so he can get used to the taste.

But If I were you and was still concerned about not finding milk anywhere in a city that I will travel to, I would bring in a small tin of powdered milk (it's similar to UHT) and just reconstitute it with water.

by ----- (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 14:29
I've been to Japan before and taste Japanese milk there, and I think the taste is slightly different than my son's milk.
My biggest concern isn't the availibilty of milk in Japan but rather my son would want to drink it or not. That's why I'm thinking about bring his milk along. Is there any law that limits the amount of milk brought by a tourist?

Thanks a lot.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 15:01
I do not know about legal limits but 5 litres of milk is about 5kg so about a quarter of most luggage allowances. Also you may well be asked for extra luggage checks as it will look strange on the scanners. UHT milk is available in Japan so I would buy when in country.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 17:56
Have you tried Googling "Can I bring UHT milk to Japan"? Or even "Importation of milk into Japan"? Because I did and got an answer within 30 seconds.

Looks like it will need to be inspected as it is an animal product.
by kh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 17:58
You cannot bring that much fluids on the plane with you. You can only bring a couple of hundred milliletres at best.

Anyway, they sell many different UHT milks in Japan.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/23 19:16
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring UHT milk into Japan? 2017/10/24 08:17
Seems like it will be treated as Animal products and will need a certificate.

http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa_quarantine_en.html

So I would probably say you wont be able to bring this with you. Maybe powdered or get buy some in Japan.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread