Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Rail Pass (Tokyo - Nagoya) - Nozomi train 2017/10/23 23:40
Hi please help,

Read from your website :

Take the JR Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagoya (100-120 minutes, several trains per hour) and transfer to the JR Hida limited express train to Takayama (140 minutes, one train per hour). The entire one way journey takes about 4.5 hours, costs around 14,000 yen and is fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass if using a Hikari train between Tokyo and Nagoya (as opposed to Nozomi trains which are not covered by the pass).

Planning to buy JR Rail Pass to travel from Tokyo - Nagoya - Takayama, when search using HyperDia all the trains shown from Tokyo - Nagoya are Nozomi trains, there isn't any Hikari train?

Do you mean all the Nozomi trains from Tokyo - Nagoya are not cover under the JR Rail Pass?

Thanks & hope to hear from you soon as travelling in 9 Nov from Tokyo.
by coco (guest)  

Re: JR Rail Pass (Tokyo - Nagoya) - Nozomi train 2017/10/24 10:51
You cannot use any Nozomi trains with pass. There are a least a couple Hikari trains per hour. Hyperdia just shows fastest routes, which are obviously all Nozomi. Filter the Nozomi trains out with options at bottom.

If you are just buying the pass to travel from Tokyo to takayama and back, Ifd suggest using Nohi bus. Itfs only about an hour longer and less than half the price with no transfers.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail Pass (Tokyo - Nagoya) - Nozomi train 2017/10/24 10:52
Untick Nozomi on Hyperdia to show the Hikari trains (2 per hour on average).
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail Pass (Tokyo - Nagoya) - Nozomi train 2017/10/24 10:58
Near the SEARCH button on Hyperdia click on "More options". Then untick the Nozomi box and these trains won't appear on your search.
by Ausfam rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail Pass (Tokyo - Nagoya) - Nozomi train 2017/10/24 12:19
Thanks so much for all your reply!

Found Nohi Bus from Matsumoto to Takayama!

In that case I just get JR East Pass (Nagano Niigata) & take a bus from Matsumoto to Takayama (1 way)

9 Nov
Tokyo - Matsumoto - Takayama, stay a nite

10 Nov
Takayama (bus) to Shiragawa (bus) to Kanazawa (train, pay this sector) to Toyama

walk to Denetsu Toyama (train) to Tateyama - by JR Tateyama Kurobe Option Ticket, stay a nite in Tateyama

11Nov (hopefully very good weather!)
Tateyama Kurobe Route to Nagano, stay a nite

12Nov
Nagano to Tokyo ! catch flight home!

Anything I miss out? please let me know.

So I do not need to get JR Rail Pass! Your website information is really great! have been reading for many years for all my Japan trip! Thanks!

by coco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread