Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/24 12:44
Alright, Planning up for my third Trip to japan!

For the last stretch I`ll be in Tokyo again and I am not sure where I want to be based off. I want to go beyond Shibuya, Akiba, Asakusa or Shinjuku but I don't really know places besides these where it would be a good call to get a hotel or Airbnb. I`ll be going around march and will stay there for five days.
by Pinho  

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/24 13:30
I guess it depends on what you want to do while in Tokyo. I.e. Which parts you want to see. If you are want to do a lot of day trips.

Or is it more about staying in a nice neighborhood?

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/24 13:58
There are endless places to visit, Kamakura, Hakone, Mt Fuji, Nikko, Mt. Takao & many more!

Depend what's your objective & budget ... read this website great information! Enjoy!
by coco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/24 14:12
There is Ginza, Ebisu, Ikebukuro, Tokyo bay, Tokyo Station area, Odaiba, etc...

Depends on what you want to do and explore.
by ----- (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 01:50
Apart from choosing which side of Tokyo you want to be on I dont think it makes much difference as the transport links are so good. For instance I enjoyed staying in Nezu http://www.gotokyo.org/en/tourists/areas/areamap/yanaka.html As it was quiet but still had a subway connection & Ueno wasnt far off.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 02:20
Airbnb is illegal in Tokyo other than apart of Ota-ku area. Be careful when you will use airbnb you will stay in illegal accommodation.
My recommendation is Kamata, Ota-ku where you can explore daily life of Tokyo residents, and also closer to Tokyo sta, Kawasaki sta and not too far to Yokohama sta.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 06:08
AirBnb is no longer illegal in japan, a new law was passed.

Regardless, I a mostly looking for things to do that are in neighbourhoods I haven't been to yet. I am thinking of staying around naka-meguro but Nothing is defined yet. I am mostly interested in the more modern side of tokyo and of course good and maybe fancy food.
by Pinho rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 07:32
Well , if you want to stay in Nakameguro go ahead. It's a nice neighborhood and I guess you have seen on a map it's transport connections with other parts of the city you want to see.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 08:00
Kichijoji hasn't bee mentioned. Guess it was voted as one of the more desirable towns to live in Tokyo. Plenty of places to eat and shop at the Harmonica Yokocho. Inokashira park is beautiful. You can easily access both Shinjuku and Shibuya from there.

If you don't mind getting out of Tokyo, Yokohama has plenty of modernness and things to see, do, and eat.
by Taco Grande (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 10:35
I also love Kichijoji. You can stay in or around Shinjuku, catch the Chuo Sobu Line, and its a comfortable ride, not overcrowded, to Kichijoji, which offers most of the department stores, plus a traditional shopping area. Otherwise upmarket Jiyugaoka on the Toyoko Line out of Shibuya, or the Oimachi Line ,casual shopping, some nice treelined streets and good restaurants, and if you get sick of that jump back on Oimachi and head for Futakotamagawa, on the Tama river which has gone through a transformation with hi rise apartments, and great stores including Takashimaya.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 12:56
Airbnb is still illegal until Jan 2018.
Despite the new law will be introduced, the formation will be a "registration", thus it will be still illegal after Jan 2018 if the accommodation is not meet the registration form.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 14:47
I stay in a 2 bedroom apartment in Ota-ku last month. It is a residential living area and not a commercial touristy area. They isn't any night life. But the small food take out places are great. These are mainly dotted around the stations on the lines. I stayed near Unoki station on the Tamagawa Line. Not far from the suggested Kamata station earlier.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo beyond Shibuya, Asakusa, Shinjuku 2017/10/25 15:13
Nakameguro is good. Also consider Daikanyama, Shimokitazawa and Jiyugaoka.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread