Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Consulting for my previous employer 2017/10/25 13:34
I am in a transition process (serving my notice period for my current employer, and going to a new company from next month). I am working in Japan for 9 years now (as an Engineer), and have extended my visa for the next three years. I plan on submitting an 'Eijuu Ken' application when I move to the next employer.

My current employer wants to do a consulting contract with me where they will pay for my consultation every month for the next 6 months (after I leave this company). They will be paying tax on it as well, what I want to know is, given my current status as an Engineer, if I sign this contract with my (soon to be) previous employer, will I be breaking the law?
by AmrHsn  

Re: Consulting for my previous employer 2017/10/25 15:13
Depends whether the "consulting" job is allowed under your status. If in doubt, you can request a certificate of authorized employment. http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/10.html
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Consulting for my previous employer 2017/10/25 15:23
Thanks for the reply Firas,

The consulting is regarding the projects that I did during my time in the Company. They just want me to be able to guide their existing staff / new staff (whenever they hire) after I have left the company.

allowed under your status

So what I get from your reply is that if I am allowed to do "Engineering stuff" I can do it for any company regardless of my employer on this Visa? Like I can do my own freelance work as well if I want to?
by AmrHsn rate this post as useful

Re: Consulting for my previous employer 2017/10/25 15:53
A different topic, but will your new employer allow you to have a side job? Not all companies do.

Enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Consulting for my previous employer 2017/10/26 13:03
LikeBike, it's a good question and is related to this thread. So my new Employer wants me to be able to transition smoothly. They have allowed me to guide my previous employer. While 'guidance' is the term they are using, my (soon to be previous) employer is insisting they will pay for my 'guidance' after leaving the company. I don't know if I am legally eligible to bill my ex employer.
by AmrHsn rate this post as useful

Re: Consulting for my previous employer 2017/10/27 15:32
"I am legally eligible to bill my ex employer."
if you bill, the contract is not ŒÙ—pŒ_–ñ. you have to have a permission at immigration office.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Consulting for my previous employer 2017/10/27 18:48
You seem to be on good terms with your soon-to-be-ex employer. Why don't you simply ask them to pay you what they want to pay to you for your "guidance" as a bonus BEFORE you leave them. Then also no contract would be needed. It would obviously be just on a good faith basis, i.e. company pays before you deliver the service, but if the relationship is good, maybe they can trust you.

That should avoid problems from a tax and visa perspective. What you do for your ex company in the future will be simply "meeting good old friends there and speaking with them", not work in the proper sense.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread