Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Roads like Osumi-peninsula 2017/10/25 17:16
Hi,
Some years ago I rented a car in Kagoshima and went all the way down to Sata-misaki and back to Kagoshima. I had intented to stay the night in the Sata area but had to return earlier unfortunately.

I crossed the bay to Sakurajima on to the buried torii gate, visiting Sarukejo forest valley (7 km east of Tarumizu) passing a small hot spring named "Mori no Ie"-something (had intented to return here but got back too late). I also remember stopping by a small shrine at a beach called Arahiratenjin on the way south.

Then heading inland toward a grave called Airasan jouryou and on to Kamikawaōtaki Park before the final stretch toward Sata-misaki.

Including breaks and stops I think it took around 8 hours from the rental shop in Kagoshima to Sata, and around 3,5 hour back with a dinner stop.

The road was easy to drive as well without any highways and not too much traffic.

Anyway. As this area was quite off the beaten path I was thinking if there are any other interesting areas to visit by car like Osumi-peninsula that you can recommend??

I had intented to visit the two capes "near" Kochi (Muroto and Tosashimizu) last year but I ran out of time for that unfortunately. I had also intened on visiting the Ikata-peninsula but same there with time. They seemed quite interesting to visit and quite off the beaten path as well.

Thank you in advance!
by lordzubat  

Re: Roads like Osumi-peninsula 2017/10/25 21:23
Sarukejo forest valley

I guess you learn Japanese since this is 猿ヶ城 Sarugajo and you wrote it as Sarukejo and ヶresembles ケ. Anyway, as a Kagoshiman I am happy to hear you enjoyed Osumi peninsula. Yes it's off the beaten track and very nice place.

You have already visited some peninsulas which is inevitably very rural. Peninsulas and capes are almost always very steep and the wind is high so we can't make big ports so not so many people are living. Therefore the water is clear in the river and in the sea and scenery is nice. The extreme one is Shiretoko peninsula where there is no road to the cape Shiretoko.

I like capes and peninsulas. I visited cape Toi (in Miyazaki), cape Shionomisaki (in Wakayama), cape Takesaki (in Tanegashima island), cape Noma (in Kagoshima), cape Nagasakibaba (in Kagoshima), Noto peninsula (in Ishikawa), cape Kamui and cape Shakotan (in Shakotan penisula in Hokkaido) and Shiretoko peninsula (in Hokkaido). All of these are not convenient, but always worth the visit.

Enjoy your visit to the peninsulas and capes!
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Roads like Osumi-peninsula 2017/10/26 03:05
Thank you for your reply :)
I'll try to make a travel journal about the trip. I actually did it the day after my hike up the Kaimon-dake, so I am amazed I managed to drive all the way back and forth. I had intented to stay in a hotel near Sata-misaki but had to leave a day earlier from Kagoshima so I had to drive all the way back. Quite a challenge as it was my first drive in Japan. Lucky it was not driving in Tokyo...

I was looking into Shiretoko, but it feels a bit distant and I think the weather is still to much snow when I am visiting Japan.

But I want to try to find some place to stay this time along the way so no rush and so on.

I went to see Aso-san with rental car from Kumamoto, but the scenery was not as impressive, most roads and a lot of cars doing the detour north west of the Aso area. Maybe I missed the ocean scenery.

I'll look into the capes you mention. I do fancy the remoteness as it does not bring a dozen tourists to share the experience with.
by lordzubat rate this post as useful

Re: Roads like Osumi-peninsula 2017/10/26 07:55
We will visit Noto peninsular next month for a driving visit. We also like remote places so this sounds interesting from a little research I've done.....Finding reasonably priced accommodation could be a challenge though....
by Tommmo rate this post as useful

Re: Roads like Osumi-peninsula 2017/10/26 10:03
Nichinan coastline next door to Osumi Penninsula in Miyasaki.

But it really depends on what you are chasing to see. Nagasaki and Matsuuma areas have some wonder coastal roads and bridges into quiet islands.

Pretty much all of the of the northern coastline of Honshu facing the Sea of Japan has wonderful views and roads to drive.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread