Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transport: Towada-ko in Winter 2017/10/25 22:45
While visiting Tohoku in February, 18 we would like to visit the Winter Festival in Towada-ko.
If it takes too long to get there or the buses leave Towada-ko too early in the afternoon, we would like to stay over night and get back in the morning.
What would be the transport options?
by Tokaido 2007  

Re: Transport: Towada-ko in Winter 2017/10/26 12:58
To take in the festival you have to stay a night in Towada-ko. Unfortunately the winter direct JR bus from either Aomori or Hachinohe had been suspended a few years back and there is no sign that it would resume this coming winter. During weekends and holidays this Feb there was bus connection between Towada-ko and Hirosaki, but not sure if it will run next Feb.

http://www.tsugarunavi.jp/shuttlebus/tour_winter2017.html

The best thing to do is to choose a hotel/ryokan that can provide shuttle service to/from Hachinohe.

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Transport: Towada-ko in Winter 2017/10/26 22:22
Thank you for your reply, William.
by Tokaido 2007 rate this post as useful

Re: Transport: Towada-ko in Winter 2017/11/3 22:55
Which is the safest or most accessible route to Towada-ko in winter by car: via Hirosaki or via Towada City? Else?
I need to know this in order to book a rental car in either of these cities (or from elsewhere?)

Re: Transport: Towada-ko in Winter 2017/11/3 23:14
I think it would be best from Towada City, since that's at relatively sea level (rte 454). Via Hirosaki (rte 102), you would have to navigate the mountains on the northwestern side of the lake and they are at a higher elevation than the lake. I remember driving around the lake in Feb-March 1987-1989 and it was a bit treacherous. The ride to and from the lake to Misawa or Hachinohe, via Towada City, was much better....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Transport: Towada-ko in Winter 2017/11/4 00:51
Thanks a lot!

reply to this thread