Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I still be a Japanese citizen? 2017/10/26 17:12
Good day to all of you! I have a question regarding japanese laws about citizenship. I turned 22 years old last month. My mother is a Filipino and my father is Japanese. My father died when I was 16 years old. I was born in Japan but due to my mother's occupation she needed to take me home to the Philippines when I was 2 years of age. Recently (I was 21 years old) before my 22th b-day I got my renewed Japanese passport. I don't know if I can still be a Japanese citizen cause I read that if u reached 22 years old in a foreign country you'll be automatically be that country's citizen. May I ask if I can still be a Japanese citizen? Thanks in advance!
by Junneru  

Re: Can I still be a Japanese citizen? 2017/10/27 09:43
Recently (I was 21 years old) before my 22th b-day I got my renewed Japanese passport.
It looks to me that you are still Japanese since you were born in Japan and already have a Japanese passport. However, I think you must contact the Japanese Embassy in your country as soon as possible to verify your case.
by justagaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I still be a Japanese citizen? 2017/10/27 13:59
Why you dont ask Japanese embassy?
They can tell you better than people guessing and make you waste time.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I still be a Japanese citizen? 2017/10/27 15:18
of course, you have Japanese nationality.
but, you have to choose one nationality until you become 22 years old. that is the law, but, no penalty if you don't do that.
thus, if you become 30, or more and you don't choose one nationality, your Japanese passport will still be valid.
however, the resting concern is that we don't know when the government changes the interpretation and execution of the law. when they decide to execute the law, they may cancel your Japanese nationality in future, because the law states very clearly.
so, currently OK, but no guarantee in future.
if you can't speak and read Japanese fully, your Japanese nationality is not so useful for you.
you are just a foreigner who has a Japanese passport.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I still be a Japanese citizen? 2017/11/14 01:57
I see. Thank you for your answers. I already visited the Japanese Embassy here in the Philippines but sad to say they didn't help me at all. I tell them what should I do to become a Japanese Citizen then they tell me to go to Philippine Immigration. But I can't go for now coz I have classes on weekdays (college student). Btw I'm planning to go to Japan next year (April 2018) after I graduated on my degree. I hope I can go without any problem because Japan have better job opportunity than in the Philippines.
by Junneru rate this post as useful

reply to this thread