Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any suggestion for solo traveling? 2017/10/30 06:51
Hi everyone

I'm going on the 02.12.17 till 07.01.17 to japan and would like to get some suggestions where to visit.
I'm currently thinking about Tokyo (anime events, anime stores, parks and fireworks), Kyoto, Osaka, Nara and Fujikawaguchiko (all of them for the shrines, temples, historic sites, gardens and castles). I'm not sure if I can visit all the beautiful places in this short time, that's why I wanted to ask you if you maybe can tell me what place I have to see while being in japan.

I also would highly welcome other suggestions for different cities. If you need some informations about my person to know whats best for me; I'm 23 years old, love anime, like it when it's quite and love the nature and beautiful buildings.

And do you have some important tipps for solo traveling? I heard once, that I should get a jp rail pass so I won't have to spend that much for the train/bus ride?

Thank you in advance for your experience :)
by MrSkytop  

Re: Any suggestion for solo traveling? 2017/10/30 16:15
02.12.17 till 07.01.17

Do you mean

2nd December 2017 to 7th January 2018

or

2nd December 2017 to 7th December 2017

or other dates?

What is your traveling style? Like staying mainly in a dormitory in a hostel, hotel rooms with bathroom. What is your budget per day (or total budget)?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestion for solo traveling? 2017/10/30 18:24
Oh I screwed up. From the 2nd december 2017 till 7th january 2018.

I rather hostel so it will be cheaper and I have the opportunity to meet new people. But hotel is also ok. My budget is around 6000€
by MrSkytop rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestion for solo traveling? 2017/10/30 20:52
Thirty-seven days are not short, and your current destinations are within the so-called Golden Route in which you can travel in three hours by Shinkansen train from end to end (Tokyo to Osaka that is). In general it is not the busy season (except for 6 new-year holidays) and the hotel price tend to be cheap. Anyway if you stay mainly in hostels this is not the problem since hostel rates do not change even in the busy dates.

Have you booked your flights? Maybe Tokyo (Narita or Haneda) in Tokyo out? Or will you use other airports? In general, Tokyo in Osaka (KIX) out is most efficient but you will have plenty of time it will not be an issue.

Your budget of 6000 euros is plenty even if it includes flights and accommodations.

Japan has many places to visit other than the golden route. But what you like is only you know. It's winter so if you are from tropical country you may want to see snow, but you are from Swiss, you might be bored for the snow :).

Do you want see the beach? Do you like onsen? How about aquarium (Japan has many)?

Re: Any suggestion for solo traveling? 2017/10/31 02:30
Here's a pretty good headstart on an itinerary for a whole month:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_traverse.html

You will not be able to do the portions over the "Alps" , and the Okinawa portion may be too expensive for your budget. But I think it gives you a good idea of where you can go and what you can see.

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestion for solo traveling? 2017/11/6 03:56
I haven't booked my flights yet and also I don't know to book which destinations for in and out.

My biggest *issue* is that on the 16th december and 30th december there are two anime conventions in tokyo. My idea was to stay from the 29th december till 7th january in tokyo so I can visit the convention and also travel tokyo. But I also want to visit the convention from the 16th december so maybe I will take a quick train ride back to tokyo to visit it and then ride back to my current destination. What are your thoughts about that?

I know, I choose the wrong season for my intention but I wanted to visit japan asap. I don't really want to see snow, since I'm from switzerland myself. :)
And I'm also not interested in to seeing the beach. I would like to try onsen for once to see how it is and also the same for the aquarium.
My biggest intention is to see and feel the japanese culture, nature and all the beautiful temples.

Can you please recommend me some places that I have to see in japan? I think I may go *freestyle* and ask the locals if they can recommend me any places to visit and experience.
by MrSkytop rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestion for solo traveling? 2017/11/6 09:30

I am currently also doing solo travel through Japan and stay clear of the major cities and attractions (mostly because I have visited them already in the past). I am traveling by bicycle (and train, ferry...), so my speed is quite slow. If you want to take a look at a bit off the grid locations, have a look at my blog. There are descriptions of those places I already visited, but also in the planning section information about places I want to visit. With links to descriptions about them. Most of the places are close to the coast, as I am not a strong cyclist so no mountains.

In Hokkaido and Tohoku there can/will be snow also in the low lands when you are in Japan. But elsewhere (except Takayama) there really shouldnft.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com

Asking the locals can work, but assuming that you donft speak Japanese can also be challenging to get suggestions and maybe even more challenging to get out of the ordinary suggestions. Local tourist information centers are good and always conveniently located, but even there information in English is less than in Japanese. (And I have found information offices where the staff didnft speak English...) But if you ask specifically for suggestions outside of the normal places they might come up with something.

If you are a big fan of temples, I would suggest some dedicated time in and around Nara. Visit the important (read: famous) temples at their opening hour, before busses arrive and then visit the less famous ones during the day.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestion for solo traveling? 2017/11/6 21:18
I haven't booked my flights yet and also I don't know to book which destinations for in and out.

If your traveling dates are not fixed, you might do some research for the flights first, since the fare will have big difference depending the exact date. Second Dec is not busy date but 7th Jan seems to be somewhat expensive. If you can shift 2 or 3 days later the fare will be much cheaper.

My biggest *issue* is that on the 16th december and 30th december there are two anime conventions in tokyo. My idea was to stay from the 29th december till 7th january in tokyo so I can visit the convention and also travel tokyo. But I also want to visit the convention from the 16th december so maybe I will take a quick train ride back to tokyo to visit it and then ride back to my current destination. What are your thoughts about that?

If you have the Japan Rail Pass, you donft need to worry. Just take Shinkansen (Hikari on Tokaido line from Kyoto or Osaka, Kagayaki from Kanazawa or Nagano, and so on).

I know, I choose the wrong season for my intention but I wanted to visit japan asap.

Wrong season? I donft think so. In Europe, the weather in winter is not so good, but in gthe golden route of Japanh especially in Tokyo, it is the sunniest season though it is somewhat cold. But you are from Switzerland, it will be no problem.

And I'm also not interested in to seeing the beach. I would like to try onsen for once to see how it is and also the same for the aquarium.

No snow or beach, with onsen and aquarium. Then you should cut out Hokkaido, Tohoku and Okinawa this time. Still there are the golden route plus the western part of Japan including Hiroshima, Shikoku and Kyushu.

My biggest intention is to see and feel the japanese culture, nature and all the beautiful temples.

Then the Kansai region (Kyoto, Nara and Shiga) is the first place you should visit. You should allocate one third of your days there. For more rural taste you might consider Takayama and Shirakawago for a few days. There is Okuhida onsen which is very popular open air onsen place though there will be snow :). There are many good onsens in Kyushu. Basically staying in the western part of Japan is cheaper than in Tokyo.

Can you please recommend me some places that I have to see in japan? I think I may go *freestyle* and ask the locals if they can recommend me any places to visit and experience.

You may want to see archipelago, the sea with lots of islands. You can see it in Miyajima, but there also are many places, like Sasebo in Kyushu.

Anyway, you should first fix your flight which has a big influence on your itinerary. Enjoy your trip planning!

reply to this thread