Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 01:30
Hi, im a recently graduated hs student and I came to japan with a tourist visa to apply for university, however I would like to apply for the child of japanese national visa (my mother is japanese) , and I was wondering if there could be any problems with my application since I cannot currently work and am not in a language school. Would I have to prove that I am an aspiring student? Do I have to submit extra documents? Am I still a good candidate for this visa?

I would like to hear from the experiences of fellow children of japanese nationals or people acquaited with this kind of problem.

Thank you :)

by japanesechild  

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 08:55
Talk with immigration.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 09:10
Are you sure you are not Japanese yourself?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 14:57
I would also ask the same question as Firas. Either (1) you ARE Japanese due to one of your parents being Japanese, OR, (2) you apply for Child of Japanese National status under the care of your Japanese mother (I believe you do need supporting papers from the Japanese parent).

Since the application of your visa is based on family relationship, not on school or work situation, that is irrelevant.
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 16:21
Since OP mentioned to have come on a tourist visa seems that OP does not have a Japanese passport.
If the OP is older than 22 years than automatically Japanese citizenship will be revoked.

If you born in Japan or in OP case one of the parents is Japanese you will be automatically Japanese if your mother in this case accepts.

Before you are 22 years old you can have a dual citizenship but after 22 years old you cannot have dual citizenship in Japan so if you have another citizenship you will lose

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 16:37
If the OP is older than 22 years than automatically Japanese citizenship will be revoked.

Not true; this only happens if you receive a notice from the MoJ asking you to choose a nationality and you fail to respond. As far as I know, no such notice has ever been sent to anyone.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 17:00
As some of you pointed out I do not have the japanese citizenship but rather want to apply under my japanese mother. I really hope that they don't ask for extra papers.

by japanesechild rate this post as useful

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 17:21
Firas is right. While officially you are bound to choose at 22, they don't really enforce it, and certainly don't automatically revoke your nationality.

However, if his parents failed to register OP at birth, obtaining the nationality is not that straightforward I suppose. You need to get the "Child of Japanese National status" and you probably need your mom for that.
by 88Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 20:16
I think "Child of Japanese National status (visa)" is given to a foreigner, not to a Japanese national.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/10/31 21:03
But if the OP was never registered at the Japanese embassy, he/she is not a Japanese national.

There was a recent question about this: https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+159666
by 88Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/11/2 09:23
@ firas

Under the revisions made to the Nationality Law in 1985, Articles 14 and 15 require any person who holds multiple citizenship to make a "declaration of choice" between the ages of 20 and 22, in which they choose to renounce either their Japanese nationality or their foreign citizenship(s). Failure to do so entitles the Minister of Justice to demand a declaration of choice at any time. If the required declaration is not made within one month, their Japanese nationality is automatically revoked.

Means if you are 22 and you do not react on declaration of choice you will lose automatically your nationality if, there is a dual nationality.

Re: Child of Japanese Visa Question 2017/11/2 17:17
^

Note this part: "Failure to do so entitles the Minister of Justice to demand a declaration of choice at any time."

"Entitles", not "will cause". In practice they apparently never demand this declaration. At least I have heard plenty of people with dual nationality who can still enter with their Japanese passport without problems.

But all this is a bit off-topic.
by 88Tim rate this post as useful

reply to this thread