Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/5 10:38
Hi Hoping you can help some snow- naive Australians who currently live in the Kimberely where 62 F is considered a Cold Day!!
(We have lived with cold rainy weather in the past but it is a distant memory!!)
We are SECOND TIME VISTORS TO JAPAN. BUT FIRST TIME TO SEE SNOW!!!
Can you please give advice on the best shoes for a family walking tour of Japan in 20 Dec - Jan 25
We will be visiting areas where there is snow (to view the temples sites etc - site seeing )
We will be going into the Alpine Area about Toyko ( visiting Nagano, Takayaman and Kanazawa etc)
We are NOT SKIING.
So we are confused as to if we need SNOW BOOTS to keep us dry and warm or just waterproof hiking shoes.
We don't want to look like fools with full on snow boots in the mostly urban ( but snow covered ) places we travel.
All of our time in Japan will be cold ( expected 32'F - 48'F ) but only a 1/3 will be walking thru snow fallen pavements and garden areas and temple sites.
Our exact destinations are:
Hakone,
Tokyo
Kanazawa
Nagano
Matsumoto
Nagoya
Osaka
Koyasan
Himeji
Fukuoka
Omit a
Miyazaki
Kagoshima
Kumamoto
Hiroshima
Kyoto

We are so excited and don't want o have cold feet.
We have just ordered warm winter coats ect.

Many thanks Jody.
by Jody (guest)  

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/5 13:45
Fallen snow on walkways and gardens only requires good walking boots. And a waterproofing spray ie lanolin.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/5 15:39
Waterproof hiking shoes should be fine, because the touristic paths are always "paved". But things like mouton shoes are normally worn even in the city, such as in central Tokyo, as part of the trend, so you won't look silly in them either.

Note that you can buy disposable footwear warmers at drug stores and convenience stores. Ask for "kutsu-you-kairo". There are some available for your pockets too.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?biw=1366&bih=637&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=srH-...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/5 15:48
Hi. We found Kanazawa in particular to be very slushy in the last week of December so the problem was that we would step into what looked like snow and end up ankle deep in a puddle of water. And our supposedly waterproof gortex boots from Timberland were hopeless and we would end up spending half the night trying to dry them with hair dryers. Then they were also slippery as on the icy paths. If I had my time over, I'd have bought some gumboots.

The year after we went to South Korea in December and it was icy and snowy in parts. I wore dr Martens that trip, and didnt have any issues.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/5 16:45
Waterproof hiking shoes should be fine.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/5 22:02
Choose whichever suits your style out of waterproof hiking boots and snow boots. I have a fantastic pair of Sorel snow boots from Amazon which are ridiculously comfortable. My husband wears hiking boots for snow trips. Both work, it just depends on your personal preference.

May I ask why you're asking in Fahrenheit? You've piqued my interest.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/5 23:23
Have you thought about something like Neos over shoe boots?
https://www.overshoesneos.com/

I used a pair when I visited Shirakawa Go and Hirayu onsen in February '10. I like them because they don't take up as much luggage space as boots and are light, but work fine in actual snow/slush.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/6 08:11
Good walking shoes - if that extends to "hiking" boots and they are comfortable, then pick those. I would not go with "snow" boots.
In my last few years touring around Japan, including in the snow, I only used my regular walking shoes and while they did get muddy and wet occasionally from snow, ice and various trails, they were good leather shoes and were fine (including in 2m snow).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/6 09:19
THANK YOU!
Wow what awesome help.
Looks like we will go for hiking boots and get some THERMAL SOCKS too.

It's quite strange to get your head around snow and icy ground when I live in Berk Sandles year round!

** Sal1980 - I queried in Farenheight as I spent the weekend ordering winter clothes from OS - where they described the Temp in F.
WILD.

Thanks again everyone
by Jody (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foot wear for sightseeing in snow 2017/11/6 15:01
THANK YOU!
Wow what awesome help.
Looks like we will go for hiking boots and get some THERMAL SOCKS too.

It's quite strange to get your head around snow and icy ground when I live in Berk Sandles year round!

** Sal1980 - I queried in Farenheight as I spent the weekend ordering winter clothes from OS - where they described the Temp in F.
WILD.

Thanks again everyone
by Jody (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread