Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Nagoya Station 2017/11/5 19:30
Hi all.
I'm planning a journey that will involve changing trains at Nagoya and have six minutes to get from platform 3 to platform 16.
Can anyone tell me if this is realistic?
Thanks in advance.
by Tony Harrison  

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/6 14:46
Can not judge possible or not, only such about info.

BC No all train info about date, times, dep/out stns name Q is quite uncertain.
Also you will be able to get 2nd train(Shinkansen) tickets already before dep 1st train or not is very important fact.
by Sharleenga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/6 23:48
I think it is possible if you are not carrying large suitcases, and not during morning and evening rush hours.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/7 00:00
I would get one train earlier just for peace of mind. For someone who knows Nagoya station (or Japanese train station in general) 6 minutes will be doable, but if you need to get off, orientate yourself a bit, find the nearest staircase, maneuver through the masses, drag your suitcase, get through the shinkansen gate, find the carriage where your seats are in the next train, ..., 6 minutes can get quite short and if there is an alternative that is not too inconvenient, it will improve your overall experience of this travel.

As one of your two trains is a shinkansen, it is likely that there will be a previous train just a few minutes earlier. Depending on your departure station and time of the day, there are shinkansen every few minutes (about 5 min on average I would say), so you can easily increase your time to around 11 minutes which will still be short, but more manageable.

https://www.nagoyastation.com/nagoya-station-map-finding-your-way/

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/7 02:21
No i don't think so. I live in Nagoya area. Better look at some more relaxed plan.
by ACF82 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/7 17:47
Many thanks for taking the time to reply!
by Tony Harrison rate this post as useful

JR officially suggests 7 minutes 2017/11/7 18:52
No, it is not realistic at all, even if you don't have luggage.

You are coming on a local train and changing to a Tokaido Shinkansen. You will be going down the stairs at one of the only two locations at platform 3, then running through a long hallway, and then going through one of the only three ticket gates for Shinkansen trains, and then going up the stairs or escalator which are located at only two locations on platform 16. And there are always a huge amount of people in all hallways and Shinkansen areas at Nagoya.

JR officially suggests 7 minutes. I would suggest more, if you're not used to the area, unless you can risk missing your train. (After all, there are many Shinkansen trains stopping at Nagoya, unless you are aiming for the last train out.)

https://www.jr-odekake.net/eki/premises.php?id=0530116
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/16 20:00
If anyone is interested, we made the journey today and managed to catch the connecting train with a minute to spare! (although we had to find the unreserved carriage whilst on the train). Many thanks for the link to the station map which proved to be most useful!

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/17 01:55
That is indeed interesting. Glad you made it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/17 09:13
I didn't see the earlier question, but those connections (at Nagoya) are quite doable with luggage. Normally 9 minutes gives a safety margin, but sometimes the express trains arriving come in late. My most rapid transfer (because of a late train) with a group and luggage is under 5 minutes.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/20 17:26
If anyone is interested, we made the journey today and managed to catch the connecting train with a minute to spare! (although we had to find the unreserved carriage whilst on the train). Many thanks for the link to the station map which proved to be most useful!

Re: Nagoya Station 2017/11/20 23:24
Glad you made it!

My shortest transfer time use to be from the shinkansen in Shin-Osaka to the Kuroshio Limited Express. I had 3 minutes to make the transfer or get stuck at Shin-Osaka for 1 hour because I was going past Wakayama. I had no luggage and am a fast walker. I always used the stairs.

I just made a 5 minute transfer including buying a train ticket in NYC from the subway to MetroNorth with luggage. I got on the train and just collapsed.

Though I've also missed plenty of trains too. lol
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread