Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting permenent resident in Japan 2005/4/22 12:38
I had been living in Tokyo for about 3 years with spouse visa. When I applied/extended my visa last year, I tried to apply for 3 years visa but I was given one year (again). I am a pure housewife and my husband has a reasonable income (which I thought I should have any problem for 3years visa). Instead of applying/extending my visa every year, I thought of applying for permenent resident in Japan. Do anyone know, what is the procedure and requirement? I am not a college graduate, do you think that's possible? Do they take the education background as main consideration? Thanks.
by Visa is annoying  

Permanent Residence Visa 2005/4/24 07:45
Visa,

It is usually said that you need to have been living in Japan for at least five years before you can apply for permanent residence status. I have also heard that you have to have had at least one 3-year visa beforehand. I suspect that it is still a bit too early for you, but you have nothing to lose by asking at Immigration whether it is worth applying for permanent residence. They will probably look at your passport and tell you on the spot whether you should apply or wait a few more years. Note that, unlike other visa categories, you can't apply just before your current visa is about to expire. The process can take at least 6 months, so you need to apply long before you current visa expires.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thank you, Dave 2005/4/26 17:53
Ya, I think it's still too early for me.

Just notice that I had a wrong spelling: I think I shouldn't have problem instead of should have problem.
by Visa is annoying rate this post as useful

PRV requirements! 2005/8/14 17:43
I am married with a Japanese and I have been living in Japan for two years. Last week I received my permanent Residence Visa. So it seems to renew some of our friends information related to PRV. I advise you to go to office and ask yourself.
Good luck!
by Teymur rate this post as useful

Naturalization 2005/8/24 11:29
I had my first meeting for Naturalization and went very well. Now I need to fill up form in Japanese and there is a page "why I want to become Japanese National". I have drafted some reason but for some reason my friends and wife laugh on it and seems did not liked my reasons. Is there any one who gone through similar situation OR can guide me?
You can directly contact me on xxxx@yahoo.com.
by DW rate this post as useful

TO THE POST ABOVE THIS ONE 2005/8/29 18:36
Its one thing to want to get your eijuken in Japan. This does make life easier, but to go and get naturalized? Why? If you were not born in this country you will never be Japanese. I have started a business and bought my own house with just the eijuken. Cross over and you will be laughed at just like daniel carr and whats his name ....debuto? This guy even changed his name to a japanese one. No matter how much you want to be Japanese, you never will. HAHAHAHAHA
by monkeydluffy rate this post as useful

Time It takes 2005/10/12 21:14
I am thinking to apply for my PR. I am married to Japanese Nat for 8 years. 6 of which was in US. I want to buy a home now but can not get a loan without the PR status. Anyone can share how long it took to get it, the whole process.
by Mark rate this post as useful

Permanent Residence 2005/10/12 21:36
Mark,

The standard reply from Immigration you will probably hear is to allow at least 6 months. A poll on the Yahoo Community-in-Japan group shows that people's experiences range from a couple of months to a year, with the average being around 6 months. My personal opinion is that it depends on how much time you have left on your current visa: if you have say two years left, then maybe Immigration doesn't see any urgency in processing your permanent residence application.
If you search around, there are supposed to be some banks that will loan to non-permanent residents. There was even an advert for one (sorry - can't remember the name) on the front page of the Japan Times only a few weeks ago.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

PR 2005/10/13 18:55
I have got my 3 years visa and the procedure are far much easier then I image. Besides I went for the permenant visa interview (while waiting for my number to be call) and I was told that I need to live in Japan for at least 3 years with proper visa (without any breaking stay) and the process will take about 6months and I need to have 6months valid visa in order to apply. In between this waiting period, the applicant are not suppose to leave the country. Hope this help.
by Visa is annoying rate this post as useful

Job Question 2006/4/1 02:23
If I currently work in product planning and have experience working in product marketing as well (all in Japanese foreign sales branches), what are the chances for me to get a similar type of job in Japan.

My other skills are in languages which I am fluent in mandarin, french, english, and currently learning japanese.

Please advise. Thank you.
by Boeing 77 rate this post as useful

Uhm so... 2007/8/28 23:04
I don;t understand it, me and myy friend want to get visa's to japan, to live there permanently, but what do you need to have before being able to apply, ( for a three year one/ permanent/ whatever)
by JapanHouseSeeker rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/29 04:06
First off permanent resident visa is not something you can apply for if you have not lived in Japan first. You need to be in Japan for x number of years (see other threads) before you can get Permanent residency.

So you need to live in Japan under some other visa status (work, student, dependent, spouse etc etc etc) the list goes on depending on your circumstances.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread