Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan as a Photographer? 2017/11/8 02:19
Hey there 👋🏼

My question is what options do I have in being able to live and work in Tokyo as a photographer or Lighting Assisting.
I know about the Marriage, Artist Visa and Work Visa as well as the option to teach English.
Is there other ways of being able to stay in Japan? For example doing a dependent visa?
Can my Girlfriends sponsor me?
We would be living together sharing a bank account to pay bills and living expenses. She works as a nurse. We both currently live in NYC.
I'm really curious of all the options I have in making this plan work.

Thank you for all the advice!!
by Bryan M. Sargent (guest)  

Re: Moving to Japan as a Photographer? 2017/11/8 06:17
For dependent visa: you need to get married first. Then, if your girlfriend has a work visa, you could stay under a dependent visa. After obtaining special permission, you can work up to 28 hours a week. Your girlfriend already has a work visa I take it?

Marriage visa: I assume you mean spouse visa, this is only if you marry a Japanese national. If your girlfriend is Japanese, this is probably the easiest way.
Regular work visa: you first need a company willing to hire (and sponsor) you.
I assume you're American, so working holiday visa isn't possible.
If you have enough money and a good portfolio I suppose you could also get an investor visa or something, but I don't know much about this.
Other than that, there is the student visa (either at a language school or university). You can also get permission to work up to 28 hours, and if you have some money saved this could be a good option.

What is your reason for wanting to live in Japan, if I may ask?
by 88Tim rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan as a Photographer? 2017/11/8 08:50
You do not mention your girlfriend is Japanese or not but in case she is Japanese you could marry and apply for a spouse visa. If she is not Japanese you will not be able to apply spouse.

Working visa is complicated since you can only apply for a certain working field which will be mentioned on the visa, having a second different job is official not allowed and you need to discuss this with the immigration office for options. Or you need to find an employee in the market you are interested.

Depended visa can only be applied when you are not married and fall in a certain resident status.
http://www.transenzjapan.com/blog/dependent-visa-japan/

there is no such self depended or self sponsor visa.

Student visa allows you to work up to 28 hours. Be careful that working in entertainment, sex industry, bars etc are not allowed.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread