Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to reserve sunrise Izumo train? 2017/11/8 04:03
I arrive 14th December and will travel 27th to visit the shrine

I probably activate my JR PASS around 20th December. Where and how do i book?

Also if there is no reservation can I turn up or I assume no reservation no ride ?

Also to get back to Tokyo for evening off 28th is it easy like taking a bullet train for example ?

Thank you
by Abhi B  

Re: How to reserve sunrise Izumo train? 2017/11/8 06:25
Ticket windows or counters. JR stations.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to reserve sunrise Izumo train? 2017/11/8 07:23

Exchange your voucher on day one upon your arrival, and make the reservation without delay.
I won't be surprised if the outbound tickets, especially the nobi-nobi seats, are all taken; however, IMO, return ticket would be easier to obtain.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to reserve sunrise Izumo train? 2017/11/8 08:25
Hi,

I tried to do this last October, so this is only my experience. I got in to Japan October 4 and wanted to get a sunrise ticket for October 17th. The whole train was sold out. The person at the counter said all seats on the train were full, so no reservation no ride.
I believe the tickets go on sale 3 months out and sell out very quick, so people like us using JR passes either have to luck into them or take a long train ride during normal operation hours.
I have seen on the boards that some people have friends or family get them the tickets when they come out, but you pay full price since you are not there (in Japan) with your JR pass.

I would suggest having a backup plan in case Sunrise is booked.

Also, as soon as you arrive in Japan you can activate the JR pass for the dates you want to use it and get train tickets for the dates in your window. Don't just get tickets to get tickets if you are not sure you will be on the train, that would be wasteful.

I hope this helps you plan your trip. Japan is a beautiful and wonderful country.
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to reserve sunrise Izumo train? 2017/11/8 15:38
Ummm thank you
by Abhi B rate this post as useful

Re: How to reserve sunrise Izumo train? 2017/11/8 19:21
Seats/berths are able to be booked one month out.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to reserve sunrise Izumo train? 2017/11/9 01:29
Great so where ever I swap my voucher for my he pass just ask if i can do the over night when I want

Hope there is room available but thank you for telling me
by Abhi B rate this post as useful

Re: Sunrise Seto | Izumo and Japan Rail Pass 2017/11/9 03:35
Are you aware that you should pay Limited Express and Sleeping berth surcharges when you use a berth compartment?
Japan Rail Pass is valid for only the basic fare in this case, not for these surcharges, whose amount is at least 9720 yen for your ride from Tokyo Station to Izumoshi Station.

A Sunrise Seto | Sunrise Izumo train has also simplified personal sleeping divisions on two floors, upper and lower, which are called as Nobi-nobi Seats.
(The partition between the divisions is mostly very low, therefore passengers on the same floor can see each other; curtains are available at the boundaries .)

Since this sleeping division is counted as a seat, there is no Sleeping berth surcharge for Nobi-nobi Seat, and both the basic fare and the Limited Express surcharge are covered by Japan Rail Pass, i.e. you pay no additional fee.

A photograph on a photo-sharing website shows the interior of the upper floor for Nobi-nobi Seats.
http://photozou.jp/photo/show/2685388/151744889

Each train has 28 Nobi-nobi Seats, 14 on each floor.
Some ladders connect the upper and lower floors.

Anyway, a case may be where only high-grade (therefore expensive) berth compartments remain unreserved in the Sunrise Izumo train which you hope to take.
So, you had better prepare another plan, as Anne says.

Note
: Aisles of Sunrise Seto and Sunrise Izumo are narrow; a suitcase may well make it hard for you to walk there.

For your information
: Kyoto, Osaka and Shin-Osaka Stations are skipped by westbound Sunrise Seto - Izumo; the station where it makes a stop first in western Japan is Himeji Station.
: Between Tokyo and Okayama, Sunrise Izumo is coupled to Sunrise Seto; at Okayama Station, westbound Sunrise Seto - Izumo is divided into the two trains.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread