Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is the validity period of COE? 2017/11/10 21:02
Hi,

One of our employees will be sent to japan on deputation for 15 months mostly. But I suppose COE is valid only for 1 year.
Can he extend or re issue the COE while he is in japan after completion of 12 months?

Please let me know what can be done.

Many thanks
Mitali
by Mitali  

Re: What is the validity period of COE? 2017/11/11 11:29
I have a feeling you are mixing up some terminology here.

"COE" is something you apply for in your country, and you change it to a "visa" to enter Japan. Once you have entered Japan, you have a "resident status," which might have different length depending on what you applied for.

(Why do you "suppose" that it is only for 1 year? If a "COE" says it is valid for one year, that means that person needs to apply for a "visa" within one year.)

I am assuming that one of your employees need to have a permit to stay in Japan for the duration of 15 months? Then you need to apply for 15 months.
If the maximum length ever allowed by the Japanese immigration authorities is 12 months for your country, your employee needs to apply for an extension by another 3 months (with proof of the need to be in Japan for that long).
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is the validity period of COE? 2017/11/11 12:08
The CoE is not "changed" for a visa; it is a required document (except in some special cases) to apply for a visa and to enter Japan. Even if your CoE was valid when you applied for your visa, if it is not valid when you go to Japan, you can't enter.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: What is the validity period of COE? 2017/11/13 14:03
Many thanks for your swift response.

I understand the COE significance. But what if the employee returns to india (during the 15- month period) and goes back after 2 months of work in india, on a re-issued VISA. The COE status remains unchanged, and can be used for the next VISA process?

Yes, of course the employee will be in Japan on an intra-company transferee visa and will have the Residence permit card.

by Mitali rate this post as useful

Re: What is the validity period of COE? 2017/11/13 17:32
COE is used once per visa application/entry.

You apply for visa with COE as supporting document.
Once approved/received visa, you will enter Japan with the visa and COE.
At the airport immigration will void your visa and give zairyu card/resident status/permission to stay. And at the same time will collect the COE. The length of stay will be stated on the approved visa [check For stay(s) of]

If you want to return to India during the approved/given length of stay, you can leave Japan using the special re-entry permit on the Embarkation card. You have to return within 1 year from departure
in order to keep your resident status.

If you leave after your status expired/cancelled, you will need to go through the whole COE and visa process again from scratch.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread