Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Big taxi van at main train stations? 2017/11/10 22:30
Hi there - We are a family with a yung child and have lots of luggage (too much for the normal sized taxi boot). Is it easy to find larger taxi vans at Haneda / Shinjuku station / Kyoti station? Trying to find out if we need to book i advance. Many thanks, Sean
by Sean Parry (guest)  

Re: Big taxi van at main train stations? 2017/11/11 08:29
I donft remember ever having seen larger taxis in Japan. I am not saying that they donft exist, but just turning up at a Taxi stand and hoping to get a van is in vain.

The ideal option is to reduce your luggage. Also because Japanese hotel rooms are generally small and often donft have cupboards. So also check your hotel reservations if all your luggage and you will fit in the rooms.

If you are then still prepared to travel with a lot of luggage either try pre-book a van (if such a service exists), or take two taxis. An alternative from Haneda to Tokyo can be the limousine bus, which has storage for luggage.

Also how are you going from Tokyo to Kyoto? I assume Shinkansen... Shinkansen trains are also not made for large luggage. If you have a lot of small luggage you are probably going to be fine as you can put it overhead. But large suitcases pose a problem. If you are 4 or 6 you can reserve a group of seats and turn one bench. This creates some space behind the turne seats where you can put some luggage. Plus behind the last row in each car. But other passengers (nearly all foreigners) might also travel with large suitcases so that space might already be taken.

Most Japanese hotels have a coin laundry so you donft need to bring that much stuff. Check with your hotels if thatfs an option you want to explore.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Big taxi van at main train stations? 2017/11/11 10:41
Not readily available. Book in advance.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Big taxi van at main train stations? 2017/11/11 12:07
1: pre-book if you want a van - taxi vans do exist, but rare, or,
2: take two taxis, or,
3: take less luggage (sounds like you are taking too much, even with a young child).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Big taxi van at main train stations? 2017/11/11 13:14

A reservation is surely a safe bet :
http://www.tokyo-taxi.jp/english/index.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Big taxi van at main train stations? 2017/11/11 13:31
try uber, you can choose a van.
by hiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Big taxi van at main train stations? 2017/11/11 13:38

try uber, you can choose a van.
Would this be in Japanese only?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful