Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Returning to Japan for work question 2017/11/11 04:43
Good afternoon,
From 2013-2016, I lived in Japan as a university student on a student visa. During my last semester, I got a part-time job at a local company, loved it, and decided to continue working there full-time after graduating in December of 2016. Changing my status of residence took about two weeks and was no problem at all. I was given a year working visa. Around April 2017, there was a family emergency in the US (I am American), which forced me to leave (my company was very respectful about this and informed me I could return at anytime).
I am now ready to return to Japan, and after contacting my former company, I was told that I was indeed welcome back. My former boss believes it would be easier to come to Japan on a 90-day temp. visitor status and just change my residency status when I get there instead of going through the process here in the US.
Has anyone here heard of a situation like this? It it at all common? Do you anticipate that I'll have any issues acquiring a new working visa? The last thing I want to do is break any laws or do anything sketchy regarding immigration.
Thank you very much.
by CHusson91  

Re: Returning to Japan for work question 2017/11/11 08:33
Just as you changed your status from student to work sometime ago, yes you can apply for change of resident status from temporary visitor to work. You cannot start work until you are granted the work permitting status is granted though. Has the old status expired by now?
by ........... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Returning to Japan for work question 2017/11/11 08:35
You cannot work on a tourist visa. But you can come to Japan and do the procedure to change your visa here.

Enjoy your life in Japan !
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Returning to Japan for work question 2017/11/11 13:19
Did you cancel your resident status, handing over your zairyu card when you leave Japan ?
If you didn't and also ticked/apply for special re-entry permit on the departure card, your visa/status maybe still valid.
Or else, as other mentioned you can do the change of status procedure, but make sure you don't start working until your work visa is approved.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread