Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to board on Non-Reserved Shinkansen? 2017/11/12 00:23
Hi!

So I bought a JR West Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass for my trip this December. I know that this pass only covers on non-reserved seats on Sanyo Shinkansen train.

Last year when I went to Japan, I used JR Pass so I had to get on queue to buy a reserved seat ticket for Shinkansen. What I want to ask is how to get on board the non-reserved train? Should I also get on queue to "buy and reserve" the ticket first or I just can go directly to the JR Pass gate and hop on any non-reserved Sanyo Shinkansen train? Thanks!
by AeroHollister  

Re: How to board on Non-Reserved Shinkansen? 2017/11/12 10:00
You go to the platform directly after passing the manned gate, if you don’t have a ticket pass, and then look for the train information on the boards. It’ll show which cars on your train are non-reserved and just form a line where the doors will open. It’s first come, first serve on NR cars.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: How to board on Non-Reserved Shinkansen? 2017/11/12 11:03
Hello! welcome to Japan.
Generally, non reserved  is 1 car , 2 car , 3car.

by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to board on Non-Reserved Shinkansen? 2017/11/12 18:00
You queue up on the platform on the locations that indicate the non-reserved car numbers. Check the signs over the platform for the number of the non-reserved cars.

Normally you would queue for the next train, but there are also lines in case you want to queue up for the subsequent train in case you're early and are waiting anyway. When you look at the lines drawn on the platform it will all make sense. If you queue up for a subsequent train and the next train has departed and so your train is now next, you just to a step forward and move to the front of the queue.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread