Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cultural visa 2017/11/13 17:25
Hello guys!

I am a Swiss student and will do an internship in Japan next year.

How strict is the Japanese ministry for a cultural visa? My company applied for a CoE and also filled out a letter of guarantee.

I have no criminal record or anything.
Ifm kinda nervous about not getting a visa so I hope anyone with experience can calm me down a little.

Best regards

Marc
by Marc (guest)  

Re: Cultural visa 2017/11/13 18:21
How strict is the Japanese ministry for a cultural visa?

No more and no less than for any other type; they want to be sure that what you will do is in scope for your desired status, and that you can support yourself financially without working (since "Cultural Activities" status does not permit work), plus the usual other minor things.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural visa 2017/11/13 19:52
Thank you for coming to Japan for an internship proqram.
I understand exactly how you feel at the moment. ( FYI: I've done a lot of work for an English man to apply for a cultural visa (ZEN), and my son to engage in internships in the U.S. while he was in cnllege, and acquired visas, respectively.)

You have your company (your sponsor) involved already, leave it up to the Justice Minister's discretional authorization. The point is you are not allowed to work.
Good luck.
by culturalinterpreter rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural visa 2017/11/14 07:01
Ok that's strange because i will be working as an intern for this company and the ministry of justice explicitly told the lawyer of my company to apply for the cultural visa?

Regards
by Marc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural visa 2017/11/14 08:07
Thank you for your feedback. Yours are categorized as 'training activity' to live and learn Japanes Culture, one of 27 visas. Wish you good luck.
by culturalinterpreter rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural visa 2017/11/14 08:09
General visa
Cultural activities (Examples: unpaid internships, people studying the tea ceremony or Japanese flower arranging, etc.)

Looks correct - from the MOFA website. Unpaid intern (slave labour).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural visa 2017/11/14 09:52
Some companies will pay you the rent. So officially itfs not your work that is paid, because that is not allowed with the cultural activities visa, but companies find ways to give you money. That obviously depends on your company. If they have already started the procedure and you are not the first intern they hire, I would not be concerned. It will take a few months , maybe max 3 months and you can get your visa.

Enjoy living in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread