Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working in Japan 2017/11/15 15:36
Hi! I would like you're opinion and advice with this matter. I am a university graduate that just finished a Bachelor degree in agricultural science here in New Zealand. I would like to work there in Japan preferably in agricultural industry. However, my degree is somewhat highly flexible since it would also allow me to work as a teacher.

I am currently looking at ways to be able to get a job there. I am thinking of possibly applying for the JET programme or get a working holiday and then get a working visa.

Another question would be is if I can get a job there in Japan should I take Japanese lessons then? If so, would it be advisable to study Japanese here in New Zealand or should I study Japanese there in Japan?

Thanks for reading and have a good day!
P.S. Any advice would be appreciated
by Doughbert  

Re: Working in Japan 2017/11/15 20:59
If you want to life (and work) in Japan, learning Japanese is essentially. You will need it in most jobs and in every day life.
Learning Japanese is most efficient in Japan, but potentially also more expensive than in your country. (You need a new house....).

If you come as a student you should calculate that you will need about 1,5 years to get from 0 to N2 level and probably 2 years to N1 level. While it is not impossible to find jobs at lower JLPT Levels, N2 is the minimum for most. While you are a student you can work part time. And you are already in Japan.

If you come as JET you essentially start a career as teacher. If this is something you will want to do in life, great. But it might be difficult to get back to agriculture later.

Also for normal work on your field in order to get a visa you will need some years if experience. You can google the conditions for work visa.

I would say that overall the most important aspect is to learn Japanese. Either in NZ while you gather some first work experience or in Japan while you can see if you really would like to live in Japan.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan 2017/11/15 23:38
If you want to work in Japan, I think you should study Japanese.
Japanese teacher and student can't almost speak English.
You would must use Japanese in everyday life.

I'm working agricultural industry in Japan.
Recently, cutting edge greenhouse like holland increase in japan. but, it is still less.
In such a greenhouse, there may be operator who can speak English that experienced agricultural in abroad. However, probably only 1 or 2 in there.
You can think other worker speak Japanese only.

Anyway, When you would live in japan, If you can't speak Japanese, I think it will be difficult.

Good luck!
by BDFF rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan 2017/11/16 05:52
Thanks for the response everyone. To answer the second question I would like to work in Japan in 2020. This is because I have to gain experience here first before I can work overseas. So it would be better to study Japanese there? If so, what would be the cost of it?

Cheers
by Doughbert rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan 2017/11/16 06:39
If you start studying right now, by 2020 you'd be pretty fluent and ready for work. If you wait until 2020, you lose 2-3 years of language study....and unwise.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan 2017/11/16 08:06
For technical jobs (such as under the "Engineer" category, which seems to be most relevant here), experience is not required to obtain a visa if you have a university degree.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan 2017/11/16 15:40
But, I assume agriculture is not under the Engineer section. I also have 6 month worth of experience working in agricultural industry here in New Zealand due to my university course. Is that good enough?
by Doughbert rate this post as useful

reply to this thread