Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Family & Visa questions 2017/11/19 12:29
My husband and I will both be moving Japan in the next few years. Ifll be working as an ESL and my husband will be finishing online college.
The problem is, my mom and I are really close and slightly attached to each other. She even lives with my husband and I.
My question is, will she be able to come with us? Itfll only be for a year, but I canft just leave her behind.
by StarrySkye112  

Re: Family & Visa questions 2017/11/19 14:09
Being a USA citizen. She'll be entitled to visit Japan on a short term Visa for up to 90 days at a time. So possible can do 180 days without issue with trips out of Japan and back. This would be the easiest option. And I have heard of people staying longer than the 180 total days in a calendar year. But it would require trips back and forth.

Another option may be a dependent visa "if" you can prove your mum is dependent on you. But I'm sure this is aimed at children, not adults.

the Japan immigration sight has a heap of information in English. I would start there to gather your information. And hopefully better responses than might with more info will come along in time.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family & Visa questions 2017/11/19 14:20
Another option may be a dependent visa "if" you can prove your mum is dependent on you.

No, "Dependent" status is only for spouses and unmarried minor children. Being able to bring parents is one of the special perks of "Highly Skilled Professional" status, which presumably OP will not have.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Family & Visa questions 2017/11/19 15:14
And staying long-term on TV status is probably not a great idea even leaving aside immigration matters, as it means no job, no health insurance, no bank account, no cellphone, etc.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Family & Visa questions 2017/11/19 20:50
Even for HSP you can bring parents only if you need them for taking care of your children.

So either your mother finds a job in Japan and gets her own work visa, or she comes as a student and attends eg Japanese school for a year on a student visa , or it is a tourist visa of 90 days not extendable for US citizens. But she can leave and come back.

There are also slightly longer tourist visas (I think 6 months) for rich people. If I remember correctly she would need to show that she owns at least 30 million Yen.

Enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread