Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/20 17:58
After I apply for and obtain Permanent Residence in Japan, I read that you aren't finished with immigration yet.

I read that you will need a re-entry permit if you travel outside Japan and you have the option of applying for a Japanese passport.

How long does it take to obtain one?

Do you just apply at the immigration office?
by blondesurferboy  

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/20 19:50
Only Japanese citizens can have a Japanese passport. You may be thinking of naturalisation, which has been amply discussed here and elsewhere.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 08:51
If you apply for a permanent resident status you will not get a Japanese passport. Only when you apply for neutralization and become a Japanese which is another process.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 08:52
I wonder how you can apply for a certain status not knowing the content. If applying for a status it means you have some responsibilities, such as knowing what you are doing.

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 10:00
Getting Japanese passport process is called naturalization. It is one of the most difficult things you can get in Japan. They ask for many documents, there are about 4 interviews all in Japanese, Japanese language (Hiragana, Katana, Kanji for 3rd grade), home visit for investigation, they call your company, if married your spouse will be interviewed. Plus, you have to prepare the longest list of documents in your life and translate some of them to Japanese.
The process takes recently about 2 years. It may take over 2 years if the person is slow in preparing documents. Many people give up.
No to mention there is no guarantee that you will be accepted to naturalization.
If the person is not really seriously motivated and willing to spend time and money to naturalize, you better stop thinking about it. It is not easy.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 10:26
Getting Japanese passport process is called naturalization.

No; naturalization is the process of obtaining Japanese citizenship. Also, by all accounts the process is extremely easy; the most difficult part is the long wait while your application is processed. In particular, the cost is exactly JPY 0, and over 98% of applications are successful.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 14:39
Yes, sorry I apologize.

I have an acquaintance working and living here that often feeds me inaccurate information. I still should have done a little research before posting this.

I guess a better question would be how long on average does it take to obtain Japanese citizenship after you apply?

I read that you need to have been living in Japan at least 5 years before you can apply for Japanese citizenship, but how long do people usually wait to apply after obtaining Permanent Residence?

I will most likely just stay on Permanent Residence, but I just thought I would ask anyway.
by blondesurferboy rate this post as useful

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 15:12
Keep in mind once you apply for a Japanese citizenship you will lose your own current nationality.
You really need to consider well if you want that or not.

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 16:18
Yes, I researched that detail before and know about it.

A couple reasons I would maybe consider naturalizing in Japan would be to avoid legal issues if my US passport has any red flags tied to the misdemeanor warrant, which was a charge not a conviction and because the Japanese passport is really valuable.

A lot of countries offer visas on arrival for Japanese passport holders. Of course aside from passports, I am married to a Japanese woman and I really enjoy living here.

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 17:08
I thought it was your "friend" with the misdemeanor.

You don't need PR to naturalize. Although I find your reasons a bit weak. Realize that if things go sour with your marriage, you can not simply go back to the US. You have to be absolutely sure that you want to spend the rest of your life in Japan, regardless of the circumstances.

In any case: http://www.turning-japanese.info
by 88Tim rate this post as useful

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 17:31
Oops, looks like little Jimmy had a slip up lol.

Yes, what I mean is that I want to live in Japan for the rest of my life for sure.

I am really happy here and I stay to stay for more reasons than just to avoid the US because I can always teach English in many other countries.

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/21 23:46
Also, by all accounts the process is extremely easy;
Not true. The hardest part is preparation for the documents that you are supposed to be submitted in the second interview.
The preparation for documents that are supposed to be brought from your original country. Documents such as, birth certificates, marriage certificates of the parents or divorce, family relation paper and so forth.
These documents are required to be translated. Your diplomas should be translated to Japanese as well. Proof of nationality.
This is the hardest phase of the process is the period is the beginning. Many people give up at the first step which is gathering all the documents.. The guy who said the difficult part is waiting knows nothing about naturalization I guess. I am in the process of being naturalized and know these things in details. I am in the waiting period and it is not difficult at all. I do not know why he thinks even it is difficult.

In particular, the cost is exactly JPY 0,
Not true. You have to gather many documents. Some documents you will have to bring from your country. Some documents you should get from the city hall and so forth. So, it costs a lot of money especially if you consider going back to your country to bring all those papers and request a translator to translate them.

and over 98% of applications are successful.
Not true, many people give up in the first stage which is gathering the documents. The guy did not consider those cases. Other they are denied automatically during the first call when they ask for the first interview. Others the fail the Japanese test.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to get a Japanese passport? 2017/11/22 09:45
In my case I live in Japan for long time, but I will never take the Japanese Nationality even I have a daughter and wife here.

My reasons are

* I do not know what future brings
* You will be always a foreigner, Japanese passport or not it will not matter
* If WW3 breakout you will be not treated as Japanese
* Getting back your original nationality will be difficult
* My current Nationality gives me a lot of benefits compared with having Japanese in terms of travel and Visas.

other points
When you apply for neutralization you need to provide a lot of information including they will do background check. If you lied on your application and they found out someday you will have another challenge.

reply to this thread