Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using portable hard drive in Japanese hotels? 2017/11/21 11:00
Hi all,

Not sure if Ifm in the right place. If you think I should be asking this somewhere else, please kindly direct me.

I brought my hard drive with me to Japan last trip, and was hoping to watch my movies on nights where I just needed to relax in hotel room. However, every hotel TV I tried, the hard drive seemed to connect but I couldnft access my movie folders.

Ifm not sure if this is a format problem or not. Should I be purchasing a hard drive from Japan and transferring some movies to that?

Thank for any help.
by lum (guest)  

Re: Using portable hard drive in Japanese hotels? 2017/11/21 19:16
I am not sure..
but maybe the problem is because of the format that the movies are saved in. It may not be compatible with the TV systems of Japan. Have you tried playing them on your laptop?
by ----- (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using portable hard drive in Japanese hotels? 2017/11/21 21:21
You can try putting some movies on a flash drive. I found that MP4 is the most common video format that plays on all my devices (yes, I know that MP4 is just a container, that holds several codecs, but I am going by common usage) . While AVI is popular, it doesn't always work on TVs. Of course you can put your movies in both formats, or including MKV, on the same drive. I will assume you know how to change the TV input to other devices, like the hard drive or flash drive. I've played my own movies on TVs in hotels worldwide. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. By the time I get to the hotel at night I am ready to go to sleep anyhow.
by John Sanders (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using portable hard drive in Japanese hotels? 2017/11/22 07:29
Your trying this on a hotel TV yes?

Because most TVs in hotels around the world have the USB and HDMIs disable by default. Plus they have their own custom interface and also could have the pay for movies card insert machines.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Using portable hard drive in Japanese hotels? 2017/11/23 16:47
PAL vs NTSC would not normally be an issue, but format/access issues might occlude the device. Did you check the tv model can access you HD?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Using portable hard drive in Japanese hotels? 2017/11/23 20:34
Normally, these more common TV run on android, usually called smart TV, brands from Samsung, sony and LG, but it's best to find the model number and check the specs on what format it supports.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread