Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Family trip in January with kids 2017/11/23 15:14
Dear friends,
Im planning my first trip ever to Japan from 20-29/Jan 2018. I will land in Osaka. I have schedule as below but quite confused about the convenience of this tour:
20-21: Osaka
22: Kyoto
23: Takayama
24: Shirakawago
25: Takayama- Tokyo
26-27: Tokyo
28: Mount Fusi
29: back to osaka and fly back.
My questions are:
1. My favorite activity is snow ski for my kids so I would love if any of you can recommend where I could find ski resort in each of my above destination.
2.I will use JR pass, please advise if the route can take most advantage of the JR pass
3. Any recommendation for alternative route than mine.

Thank you so much for any advice.
by linh (guest)  

Re: Family trip in Jan with kids 2017/11/24 16:50
Sorry but you will hardly have any time to see anything. In my opinion you have too many destinations for a 9 day trip. One day in Kyoto and 2 days in Tokyo? It does not sound fun, especially with children. How old are your kids?
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2262.html (ski info).
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip in Jan with kids 2017/11/24 19:15
I agree with above response. Too many locations for 9 days. With 9 days, I'd just to Osaka-Kyoto and Tokyo. IF you can make some additional days, then add in Takayama.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip in Jan with kids 2017/11/25 01:22
I have to agree and disagree with the two people above. If linh is determine enough to visit all these cities, linh can do it. Question is, how many places inside these cities is linh looking to visit? How far part are these sightseeing and have linh set up point A to point B to point C? How old are linh kids?

The kids will SLOW you down, so I'm guessing you'll be heading out at 9ish, 10am and returning back at 6ish to 7pm latest. This guest also include stopping for breakfast, lunch and lost of time and only visiting 2 maybe 3 indoor museums or castle or whatever spots the most.

Here how I would setup the trip; Yes, you can call me CRAZY.
If you fly into Osaka EARLY, get your JR Pass and head to Shirakawago for the night. Start at Shirakawago and finish at Osaka.
20-21: Shirakawago
21-22: Shirakawago /Takayama
23: Takayama - Tokyo
24 -25: Tokyo
26: Mount Fusi (Do not stay the night, take train into Kyoto)
27: Kyoto / Osaka
28: Osaka
29: fly back home

If you want my opinion, if you want to fulfill your schedule, please start early and finish late if your visiting more than 2 spots.

Hope the link below will help you
https://www.jrpass.com/blogs/skisnowboard-day-trip-from-tokyo-by-japan...
by Sunnny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip in Jan with kids 2017/11/25 06:00
Of course it could all be done in nine days. But is it realistic? One full day in Kyoto. I could not see any one person recommending that.

Two days minimum to see the main big 4 of Kyoto (properly) - Arashiyama, Kinkajuki, Fushimi Inari, Kiyomizudera/Highashiyama. Of course you could do it all in one day if your are one a selfie quest just to say you have been somewhere.

Personally I recommend 3 full days Kyoto/Osaka and 3 full days Tokyo. But more days would be better. Then use the left over free days for whatever one sees fit to do with those days.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip in Jan with kids 2017/11/25 08:50
Yes, your current schedule sounds tight; you may not have enough time at each place.

Especially for first-time Kyoto visitors, one day would be too short to explore this ancient capital and modern megalopolis with various historical and cultural tourist spots.

When in the day will you fly into | out from Kansai Airport [KIX]?

Have you confirmed that neither Narita Airport [NRT], Haneda Airport [HND] nor Chubu Centrair Airport [NGO] is among your options?

How are interests and preferences of you and your kids?

if any of you can recommend where I could find ski resort in each of my above destination.
Any recommendation for alternative route than mine.

Your current route is mainly along the Pacific side; major ski resorts are located not near your listed destinations.

You can visit Shirakawa-go from Kanazawa (instead of Takayama) then stop by Hakuba area on your way from Kanazawa to Tokyo.
With the best combination of train and bus rides, you can travel in around 3 hours from Kanazawa Station to Tugaike Kogen Ski Resort in Hakuba.

- Japan Guide: Hakuba
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6090.html
- Tugaike Kogen Ski Resort
http://www.tsugaike.gr.jp/english/

Or, when you (as you now plan) get from Shirakawa-go via Takayama to Tokyo, you can make a day trip from Tokyo to Yuzawa, Kusatsu or Minakami; these three areas are known well also for hot spring resorts.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread