Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/24 16:31
Hello everyone,
I just recently got my license switched to a Japanese license. My country has an agreement with Japan so I did not have to do any exam except for eyesight.
Thing is, now I have a license but I have never driven an automatic car in my life. I know it is much easier than manual (which I hate), but I still have no idea how to use it, and I don't feel comfortable just renting a car and trying out.
None of my friends own a car, so I wondered if you knew of any driving school in West Tokyo/Kawasaki/Yokohama that would do a one-shot lesson just to show me how to do it. I contacted my local school but they said I would still need to buy a whole course package, which I don't want to invest in since I already do have a license. Google hasn't been very helpful either.

Thank you for your help!
by krr (guest)  

Re: Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/24 17:54
I would ask a taxi driver, or maybe a neighbor. But I would also suggest that the full course would be a better (safer) option for you and fellow drivers.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/24 19:25
I think you are over thinking it. Driving a automatic doesn't require the brainset or skills driving a manual does.

Hire a car and try the auto. You'll notice in 2 minutes that it is an easier drive.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/24 21:28
Driving automatic is really easy. The only thing that is different from a “normal “ car is that you don’t need to switch gears and your left leg will feel abandoned.

There must be some description on google how to do it and what N, P, D... means. And then you can just start driving.

For me the strange thing about Japan cars is that as the steering wheel is on the other side (for me) also some of the functions at the steering wheel (direction indicator etc) are in the wrong position. So I often ended up cleaning the front glass instead of indicating the direction. But you’ll do that a few times and then get used to it.

Enjoy living in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/25 00:33
As said why dont you just rent a car for a day or two, just drive around.
You can go for a practice driving at the driving school.
Just call up the driving school and arrange for a practice lesson.
A 45 minutes practice lesson should cost you less than 10,000yen.
Driving school do have practice lesson for foreigner who are doing licence conversion.
by 。。。 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/25 12:57
In addition to lessons for foreigners getting ready to take the local driving test, some driving schools offer short courses/lessons for "paper drivers," meaning, those who have driver's license but have not driven in years, like refresher courses. See if any driving school in your area offers such courses?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/25 19:44
As suggested, ask for "paper driver kyoshu". I simply Googled "Osaka paper driver kyoshu" in Japanese and found dozens of them. Some start from a 3 hr course. I'm sure there are more in other cities in the western part of Japan.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?ei=WUgZWsDDF8K20gSN756IBw&q=%E5%A4%A7%...

You should definitely try one, because they give you tips not only on how you should drive in Japan but also in your very neighborhood or the roads you use often.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/27 10:00
Thank you everyone for your answers.

I know driving automatic is easy but I am not a good driver enough to begin with to feel confident with just renting a car, looking how to do it up on youtube and starting driving. Additionally, my own country drives on the opposite side to Japan and the driving and parking style is also, so to say, much more creative than what is common here.
I really do not want to cause accidents or even just inconvenience.

Thank you for the suggestion of the paper driver course. I have googled with that keyword and was able to find a school nearby offering lessons for a decent price. This suggestion has been most helpful. :)
by krr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving lessons for someone who has a license 2017/11/27 13:20
drivers license centre have driving lesson .. 50mins is 7200yen
the one i used in nagoya.. hilabari centre.
so check around your city.
or check more schools .. some schools can give you like 4hrs driving training.

by chike20 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread