Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Koseki and Japan pension question 2017/11/27 23:47
Hello everyone I am hoping someone could enlighten me on this matter. I was receiving Japan pension of my father when I was 17 and ended when I became 18 years old. My mother is still receiving pension until now. They are married and my father died in 2005 here in the Philippines. Now I am 28 years old and I wanted to live and work in Japan. I am not registered in koseki. My mother is registered in koseki she said it is needed in-order for her to receive the pension of my father. If I am not registered in koseki then why did I receive pension? is it not necessary to register in koseki to enable to receive the pension? I have done some research I found out I have a Social Security number. Does that mean I am registered in the government of Japan? I still have the pension handbook and paper details regarding my pension. Now that I am 28 years old I wanted to live and work in Japan to support my family.
by kenyo  

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2017/11/28 20:12
I could be wrong but I donft think koseki and nenkin (pension) is related.

Best to ask the Japanese Embassy in the Philippines (or immigration lawyer).

If you donft have Japanese nationality or a proper visa, you canft legally live and work in japan.

by Some Dude (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2017/11/28 20:44
Was your father really a Japanese?
There is no Social Security Number in Japan.
And one's family can't receive his pension, Nenkin in Japanese after he passed away.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2017/11/28 20:46
Hi! thank you for the reply. Are there any ways to register my self or is it still possible to register myself on my father's koseki even though he already passed away? My mother and I were both planning to go to the Consular office of Japan here in my city to ask further questions. Now I am currently surveying for a Nihongo language school that offer jobs in Japan after I finish schooling in hopes of being a half Japanese will land me a job in Japan. The school has tie-ups to agencies in Japan. They will provide the Visa and other requirements. Here in the Philippines people mostly said to me because I am a half Japanese it means I can easily go, live, and work in Japan. That I have an edge to those who doesn't have a Japanese blood. Well I think that is not the case. Unless I am registered in Koseki am I right?
by kenyo rate this post as useful

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2017/11/28 21:04
Hi! Yes my father is Japanese and my mother is Filipino. They were married for 20 years until his death in 2005. We were not abandoned in any ways. He was a good father. My mother took care of him when he was ill and bedridden for 2 and a half years. I asked my mother to clarify she said it is not the pension she is currently receiving but it is called survivors claim benefits. she is still currently receiving the benefits of my late father. My mother is registered in koseki she has a copy of it.

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2017/11/28 21:19
Even if you are not a Japanese citizen (due to lack of registration), you can get a "Child of Japanese National" visa that allows you to live and work in Japan without restrictions; you can ask the consulate about it.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2017/11/28 21:48
Hi Firas! thank you for the enlightenment reply. According to my mother I am not registered in koseki of my father. My mother is registered. That got me thinking I don't have the chance to easily live and work in japan due to lack of registration (koseki). We have every paperwork (marriage certificate, death certificate, pension paperwork, etc. even my father's 1980's passport we still have it.) We are going to the consular office of Japan to ask and clarify regarding on my matter.

Thank you everyone for the reply. I will be posting an update soon. Arigatou gozaimasu!

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2018/4/29 23:02
Hi any updates?

I am also a daughter of a Japanese, we also got pension from Japan after my dad passed away last 2007. Unfortunately, my mom passed away this year too.

Please let me know how it is going on for you.
by andyy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2018/4/30 12:36
you have to inform your mother's death to pension office in Japan, as soon as possible.
http://www.nenkin.go.jp/international/english/pensioners/pensioners.ht...
Reporting When a Pensioner Dies
Claim of Pension Benefits Due a Deceased Person
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koseki and Japan pension question 2018/4/30 22:30
We already did. I'm just wondering if i can still be in the koseki even after my mom and dad passed. Is being under the pension proof enough to be in the koseki?
by andyy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread