Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/6 17:00
I am going to Tokyo this December 24 to January 6, 2017. Is getting a JR pass a good option if I am going to the following places like Nagoya, Shirakawa-go, Niigata, Hakone, and Osaka and Kyoto? Please help me.
by Genesis Villagracia (guest)  

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/6 18:56
nope
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/6 19:26
You mean you are going to "Japan." Those locations you mentioned are not in or around Tokyo.

It depends on where you are flying into and out. If you are flying in and out of Haneda/Narita airport, and making those long-distance trips on JR Shinkansen, either a 7-day or 14-day nationwide JR Pass "might" make sense.

Please try to put those destinations into an itinerary starting from your arrival airport and ending with your departing airport, and see if the train fares add up to justify any JR Pass.

(I believe the earlier poster simply said "no" because the title of your question asked about touring "around Tokyo." If you are staying near or just in Tokyo, JR Pass does not make sense.)
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/6 19:31
There is a rail pass calculator in the Transportation section of this website - use that. This is very easy to work out yourself.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/6 20:44
Keep in mind that most passes, especially the national JR pass, are for consecutive calendar days.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/7 05:05
Can you list out where you are flying to (eg. Haneda or Narita) and then list out each day where you will be and doing?

It is hard to answer without your plan itinerary.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/7 09:51
Those "pass calculators" should be used as a rough guide as your actual schedule and choice of trains (and tickets) will give different results and prices.
If you are doing all your locations within 7-days, the national pass will be a great saving. If you start/end in Tokyo, my quick look at likely cost is probably the 14-day pass is a good option. If you fly out of Kansai/Osaka, no.
I would expect individual tickets to be around 48,000yen (roughly) before any small side trips, more than the 46,390yen for the 14 day national pass.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/8 09:13
No. JR Pass is only good if you are travelling long distances crossing more than one regional JR Passes. If you are staying only in Tokyo, you are better off using a variety of local 24 and 48 hour passes like the subway passes. If you do day trips like Mt. Takao then there are other options too.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/8 09:55
It might help if people answering this question actually read the question.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR Pass a good option to tour around Tokyo 2017/12/9 10:45
The title and contents are poorly formed - that is why.
For the question itself, the JR Pass can be a good way to get around Tokyo, provided that your travels across the country at least break even with the cost of the pass. You can ride the Yamanote Line in Tokyo, which goes to several popular tourist areas. There is little savings in it all though, and it brings up the question that if you were to do so, you would have less time traveling - and you have packed in a pretty busy itinerary. Maybe with 14 days it would work - in just 7, no way.

BTW you cannot use the pass to get to Shirakawago - you'll need to pay for the bus.

The pass won't take you everywhere in Tokyo though. A 2-3 day subway pass is a good way to save money if you are going all over.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html#anc03
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread