Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa under maiden name 2017/12/7 02:15
Hi! I would just like to ask about the validity of my japan visa..
I had my passport renewed due to change status (married) but my multiple japan visa is attached in my old passport under my maided name and will expire on year 2020

Do I still need to apply for a new visa? Or can I use my old visa even if my new passport has different surname? Do i have to show my marriage certificate in the immigration?
by Kath0889  

Re: Visa under maiden name 2017/12/7 12:29
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa under maiden name 2017/12/14 23:23
Nothing about my visa under my maiden name but passport is under my married name stated on the link above..
by Kath0889 rate this post as useful

Re: Visa under maiden name 2017/12/15 02:53
I think the other poster was implying that you should also look at the part of the Embassy's link where it says "For Inquiries". Frankly, I don't understand why you're asking anonymous internet users like us instead of asking the Japanese Embassy in your country.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Visa under maiden name 2017/12/15 15:15
It depends where you live. Some countries taking a husband's (or wife's) name is not actually a legal requirement, but a social convention, even though the new name is used as a legal name (and therefore technically you can use both). Getting married doesn't necessarily result in a change in your passport for example.
Other places, you are forced to give up your name.
So, to answer your question you have to work out what your legal name/s are and then check the notification requirements for your Japan travel documentation.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visa under maiden name 2018/2/27 21:40
This is an old post but for the sake of others who will have same situation as of 2018, you can use your visa in the maiden name. Just attached your old passport with the visa to the new passport with married surname. Pls also bring marriage contract and old ID in maiden name just incase you will be asked by the immigration.
by Emjeyz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread