Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Part time study in Japan 2017/12/7 22:19
Hi,

I cannot apply for a work-and-holiday visa (over 30), but would like to stay for approx. 1 year in Japan. During this time I would like to see Japan and not spending the entire time (full time) time studying or working.
Here my questions: Are their universities or Japanese language schools that offer part-time (up to 25 hours/week) study programs for foreign students, where it is still possible to apply for a student visa?

thank you.
by joeso  

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/8 16:45
At the language school I was we had class only in the morning (or only afternoon). I think 3.5 h x day = 21 h/ week. I think that is approximately the same at other language schools too and you can apply for student visa. BUT You have class everyday and attendance gets checked. It gets checked because it is a requirement of the visa that you actually study (or at least that you attend class). So if you just want to enjoy Tokyo (or wherever you choose your school) you could do that in the afternoon. But traveling would be weekends and school holidays only.

In the school I went, in order to keep up with the rhythm we needed to study at home everyday 2-3 hours. There were daily kanji tests, homework and every 6 weeks a 3 h test for your level that determines if you could stay in that class or would need to repeat it. And even among those that studied, repeating wasnft infrequent.

What I am trying to say is that if you go for student visa, even if the class hours are less than 25h/week, you need the other part of the day to study , do homework and you need to attend every day. So have a good thought if this is what you want to do.

Alternatively depending on the country of origin you can extend a tourist visa to 6 months. Or if you have a lot of money there are also some longer visa options. Then you can only travel.

Enjoy your time in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/9 01:51
At the language school I was we had class only in the morning (or only afternoon). I think 3.5 h x day = 21 h/ week. I think that is approximately the same at other language schools too and you can apply for student visa. BUT You have class everyday and attendance gets checked. It gets checked because it is a requirement of the visa that you actually study (or at least that you attend class). So if you just want to enjoy Tokyo (or wherever you choose your school) you could do that in the afternoon. But traveling would be weekends and school holidays only.

In the school I went, in order to keep up with the rhythm we needed to study at home everyday 2-3 hours. There were daily kanji tests, homework and every 6 weeks a 3 h test for your level that determines if you could stay in that class or would need to repeat it. And even among those that studied, repeating wasnft infrequent.

What I am trying to say is that if you go for student visa, even if the class hours are less than 25h/week, you need the other part of the day to study , do homework and you need to attend every day. So have a good thought if this is what you want to do.

Alternatively depending on the country of origin you can extend a tourist visa to 6 months. Or if you have a lot of money there are also some longer visa options. Then you can only travel.

Enjoy your time in Japan!

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/22 16:55
Thanks for sharing your experience. Based on the comment I would also assume that it is not possible to stay (for some weeks/months) on student visa in Japan before starting or after finishing the language school?
by joeso rate this post as useful

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/22 17:53
You can come as soon as you have your CoE and visa, and you can stay until your status of residence expires or is revoked.

This is assuming, of course, that you don't do anything fraudulent, such as telling a visa official that the purpose of your stay is to study when in fact it is not.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/22 18:40
In response to your last question, joeso: if your true intention is to study, but in addition to do a bit of traveling before and/or after the course, that should be possible. Sometimes the immigration authorities give out a period a bit longer than the exact duration of the course. So you could possibly come a few weeks earlier or stay on a few weeks longer (if the dates really work out).

Note however that IN CASE you study in a 6-month course but happen to receive a student visa valid for a stay up to 1 year, after you complete your course, you and your school are obligated to inform the immigration authorities within two weeks that you've left the school. If you don't intend to enrol in another course, you could change your Student status to that of Temporary Visitor to travel a bit, up to 90 days probably.

But to me overall it sounds like it would be a better plan to simply come for up to 90 days on Temporary Visitor status and travel like a regular tourist, if that is your true intention? Enroling in a language school is not inexpensive either.
by ...... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/22 19:00
Thank you. Currently, I'm currently evaluating Japanese visa options and plan the trip around them. As mentioned before my main goal is to stay in Japan for approx. 1 year (not 90 or 180 days) with a balanced ratio between traveling/leisure (prio1) and study/learning (prio2) on my own expenses (but not owning 30m JPY or the "luxury" visa).
You are right, study fees or fees for language schools will debit my budget.

Maybe the "General Visa: Cultural Activities" might be a better option instead of a student visa.
by joeso rate this post as useful

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/22 19:44
Sometimes the immigration authorities give out a period a bit longer than the exact duration of the course.

That's because they can only be granted for specific periods (3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc.), so if the duration of the course falls between two of them, you get the longer one.

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/22 19:46
Maybe the "General Visa: Cultural Activities" might be a better option instead of a student visa.

Not really. Visiting Meiji shrine and climbing mount Fuji don't count as "cultural activities" for visa purposes.

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/22 20:08
The cultural activities is actually a kind of work visa. It is used for non paid work, such as an internship or also in the case of some paid work. My husband had one when he was sent by his EU company to a research facility in Japan.
So you need a sponsor for it. Which essentially is a company that would g employh you.

Re: Part time study in Japan 2017/12/22 20:35
"Cultural Activities" status is for

"Academic or artistic activities that provide no income, or activities engaged in for the purpose of pursuing specific Japanese cultural or artistic studies, or for the purpose of learning and acquiring Japanese culture or arts under the guidance of experts."

It does not allow remunerated work, so no, it is really not "a type of work visa". Of course, there are many cases where you can receive money without it counting as remuneration (e.g., scholarships or allowances to cover specific expenses), but those are not specific to CA.

reply to this thread