Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Big luggages 2017/12/10 18:26
I am going to Takayama form Nagoya. Is it a problem when I am travelling with big luggage? I will be taking both train and local buses in takayama. Will it be a problem with big luggages on buses? Appreciate your assistance and advice. Thanks
by mummyrabbit (guest)  

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/11 06:48
If you are going on the wideview hida train it shouldnt be impossible especially if you are in the green car. If you are going on the nohi bus, it shouldnt be a big issue either.

That said, you should try to keep your luggage to something that would fit in overhead luggage racks if you have to. We struggled with big luggage for years, it is a pain. Now we try to make do with 2 carry on sized pieces each, like something with wheels and a small backpack. It makes it much, much easier.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/11 09:16
When you say "big", how big is big?
The most recent time I used the Hida from Takayama I saw a couple that had enormous suitcases and the issue is they were impractical for travel, let alone for using on the trains. (The cases wouldn't even fit down the centre aisle of the train!!)
If you can easily deal with your luggage up a flight of stairs, probably it is ok. if you have trouble, your case is too big and you are taking too much stuff. That's a generic observation for anywhere, not just Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/11 11:22
Thank you so much for your valuable advice.
by MUMMYRABBIT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/11 12:45

You might want to consider Takuhaibin Delivery Services:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/11 18:08
You might want to consider Takuhaibin Delivery Services:

If people are travelling with enough luggage they don't need it for a day or two (because the service is next day or two days for airport delivery), then they shouldn't bring it to Japan in the first place. Sure the system is great, but learning how to travel with what you need should be the first priority rather than using takuhaibin to correct a packing error.
It might be a harsh assessment, but people that know how to travel don't need it. The people I deal with (my paying tour guests) that have used it just had way too much stuff (which they didn't use).

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/11 18:49
I would agree.

Considering Japan has washers and dryers in just about every overnight accommodation available. There just isn't a need to bring two weeks worth of clothes.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/11 22:35
Ah Hakata14 and JapanCustomTours, it seems neither of you are bringing home lots of big and bulky souvenirs from Japan.

I personally bring one huge suitcase so that I have room to bring home lots and lots of stuff. It's much cheaper paying 4000, 6000 or even 8000 yen to takyuubin said bag around Japan than the 10,000+ I would be paying in shipping to get things back to the US. Now, I admit, I'm a particularly niche visitor to Japan. I collect various types of Asian fashion dolls, but depending on how much shopping you plan to do, having a large suitcase can come in handy. Next trip we're on the look out for a dollhouse and the and the conveyor belt sushi playset.

Personally, if OP wants to bring big luggage, just takyuubin it and be done with it.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/11 22:49
Thank you all for your advice.
by Mummyrabbit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/12 02:31
My recommendation is to bring a Medium size bag. I have tried large luggage (one first trip) and the issue is usually:
-It is hard to move around
-Really hard to find the elevators in train stations or subways if that station even has any
-Difficult to lift to top of rack on train
-There are limited Large lockers available so most often times, you wont find a large locker
-Even if you do find a large locker, your bag does not fit (That happen with a friend of mine even though I had told them not too)

Don't bring unnecessary items. Bring like 7-9 changes of clothes and just make time to wash.

Finally, if you end up with way to much souvenirs and it wont fit in your suitcase, you can buy a new suitcase. There are some cheap one time luggages (because it will most likely break) that I saw from 6500yen to regular suitcases at like 10000yen and up.

Hope this helps! Have fun in Japan!

by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/12 08:17
Most of my guests are not big shoppers, but I have had a couple. D&N did their buying in Tokyo at the start of their trip, we stored their stuff in our office, and when we returned they had to buy two extra suitcases - no luggage forwarding required.
Another group (of four) had heaps of stuff and we forwarded six cases for them (and they still traveled with one each plus assorted other bags).
It also depends on the group/people. I had another group that didn't pack light (7 cases for four people) and we were going to forward half their cases for them. But after the first train transfer they found it so easy they didn't want to part with their luggage.
Everyone is different - and luggage forwarding can be very useful.

Re: Big luggages 2017/12/12 09:47
@JapanCustomTours,

My friends who live in Japan are not willing to let me store a bag at their house while I travel. So for me, I find knowing my shopping habits a large bag and takyuubin makes a lot of sense. It also means I can use an even smaller bag when just doing an overnight. I have bought bags in Japan (because sometimes I buy more than I think I did!) but in general unless you are moving around a lot it's cheaper to just takyuubin. 6500 yen is 3 bag forwards, 10,000 yen is 5. Last trip I brought home, a Licca playset, 6 or 7 boxed dolls, a Annapanman playset for my nephew, some new clothes, and lots of other gifts.

It's unclear why OP has a possibly big bag. There are people, like me, who do a lot of shopping and there are people who just overpack, and there are people somewhere in between. I have seen people with bags that are just too big for them to handle and I often think they should just use takyuubin. When I went to Takayama last June, I sent my large bag to my Tokyo hotel and just had a small easy to transport bag. :)
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread