Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary and transport for 3 months 2017/12/12 08:32
Hello!

I'm heading to Japan in January for up to 90 days and would greatly appreciate advice on what transport and travel passes I should use. I'm happy to travel around by bus, plane or train.

I plan to travel across Japan but I do have lot of flexibility, so if my itinerary seems off in some places I'm open to changing it if needed.
I'd like to go to South Korea after my time in Japan so I want to end up either in Osaka, had the cheapest flights when I looked, or somewhere on the west so I can get the ferry across.

I arrive in Tokyo on the 5th of January from the UK.
I'll be going to the Sapporo Snow Festival in February and I'd also like to do some skiing in Niseko. Another thing that I'd really like to do is cycle across the Shimanami Kaido.

Tokyo 5th - 18th Jan
Zao 18th - 20th Jan
Sendai 20th - 23rd Jan

Hakodate 23rd - 25th Jan
Niseko 25th - 30th Jan
Lake Toya 31st Jan
Noboribetsu 1st February
Asahikawa 2nd Feb
Abashiri 3rd Feb (to see drift ice)
Monbetsu 4th Feb (drift ice)
Sapporo 5th -13th Feb(Snow Festival)

Niseko to Sapporo seems a bit hectic but it was the only way I could fill up that week. I already have accommodation booked for Sapporo.

Is it possible to get a night train or bus from Hokkaido to Honshu?
I've had a look on a few sites but the option isn't there.

Aomori 13th - 16th Feb (Oirase Stream Hike, Lake Towada, Hirosaki)
Akita 16th - 19th Feb (Kakunodate, Dakigaeri Gorge)
Kyoto/Osaka 19th Feb - 8th March - I'll be doing quite a few day trips around here
Okayama 8th - 10th March
Fukuyama 10th - 11th March
Cycle across Shimanami Kaido 11th - 12th March
Imabari 12th March
Hiroshima 13th - 15th March
Fukuoka 15th - 20th March
Nagasaki 20th - 23rd March
Tottori 23rd - 28th March
Fukuoka 28th - 5th April?

I go back to Fukuoka because that's where I have found the cheapest flight to South Korea.

I'd love to see cherry blossoms, especially in full bloom but I have to leave by 5th of April. Late March/early April is the forecast for full bloom. I don't know if I'd be able to spend another whole week in Fukuoka, I'd be willing to leave Japan before the 5th but would I miss the cherry blossoms?

Final question from me, for which dates would you recommend getting a JR Pass?

I'd save 14,000 Yen by getting a 3 week JR Pass according to the calculator on JRPass.com for the 3 weeks between Tokyo and Sapporo, 18th Jan - 6 Feb.

Tokyo - Zao - Sendai Miyagi/JR - Hakodate - Niseko - Noboribetsu - Asahikawa - Abashiri - Sapporo JR.

I'd save a massive 920 Yen on a 2 week JR Pass (no value on 3 week) between Sapporo - Osaka, 13th Feb - 27th Feb.

Sapporo JR - Aomori - Akita - Kyoto - Osaka.

For the 3 weeks between leaving Kyoto/Osaka to Fukuoka (8th March to 29th March), I'd save just under 23,000 Yen by getting a 3 week JR pass.

Kyoto/Osaka - Himeji - Okayama - Fukuyama - Onomichi - Imabari - Hiroshima - Hakata - Nagasaki - Tottori - Hakata

Thanks in advance, Ryan.
by Ryan C (guest)  

Re: Itinerary and transport for 3 months 2017/12/12 11:18
Is it possible to get a night train or bus from Hokkaido to Honshu?

No. Ferry maybe, but they tend to be expensive.

Note: Sapporo to Aomori and Akita to Osaka flights can be had for 5,400 yen each with JAL.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary and transport for 3 months 2017/12/12 11:32
Hi!

I just wanted to mention, I don't think you can hike Oirase stream in February. I'm pretty sure the path is closed due to snow and I don't think there are buses running there until April. A lot of places in Tohoku are going to have a lot of snow in February. If you like snow, that's great, but there are things that are closed in Winter.

You might get peak or close to peak sakura in Fukuoka. I know you can't predict sakura, but I had close to peak or peak in Fukuoka at the end of March in 2009.

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary and transport for 3 months 2017/12/12 13:19
Nagasaki - Tottori - Fukuoka doesn't make sense.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary and transport for 3 months 2017/12/12 15:10
I agree with @ hakata. Couldnft you pop in Tottori after Okayama? I think there are trains from Okayama to the Japan Sea side.

Regarding cherry blossoms. There will be daily reports in the news ( and internet) on the cherry blossom status. With going south and leaving early April you should have a chance to catch cherry blossom somewhere on your way.

You donft seem to have a lot of onsen destinations and I was wondering if you skip Yamadera?

Enjoy your trip through Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary and transport for 3 months 2017/12/13 08:27
Sapporo JR - Aomori - Akita - Kyoto - Osaka.
7-day pass, not 14 day pass. 13th to 19th Feb
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary and transport for 3 months 2017/12/14 07:27

No. Ferry maybe, but they tend to be expensive.

Note: Sapporo to Aomori and Akita to Osaka flights can be had for 5,400 yen each with JAL.

I see, I thought so thanks.

I've just had a look onJAL and flights are 7200 for the 13th so I will consider it.

I am Ryan C btw, I've just made an account.
by Cazwegian rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary and transport for 3 months 2017/12/14 07:37
I just wanted to mention, I don't think you can hike Oirase stream in February. I'm pretty sure the path is closed due to snow and I don't think there are buses running there until April.

Ahh damn it. Thank for letting me know.

Nagasaki - Tottori - Fukuoka doesn't make sense.

I agree with @ hakata. Couldnft you pop in Tottori after Okayama? I think there are trains from Okayama to the Japan Sea side.

Yeah I'm going back on myself there, I forgot about visiting Tottori so I just threw it in there. I will rearrange it now thanks.

You donft seem to have a lot of onsen destinations and I was wondering if you skip Yamadera?

I should hopefully be able to visit when I am around Sendai.

7-day pass, not 14 day pass. 13th to 19th Feb

Thanks!

by Cazwegian rate this post as useful

reply to this thread