Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Shinkansen to Osaka possible on 2nd Jan? 2017/12/13 13:00
Hi,

I'll need some help urgently as this is my first time in Japan!
My flight arrives in Tokyo on 31st in the morning and I plan to exchange my JR Pass at the airport once I arrive. Problem is, because hotels are packed in Tokyo during New Year's season and prices are extremely steep, my family of 4 are considering heading to Osaka on the 2nd jan. (We'll have to spend 31st and 1st jan in Tokyo because Shinkansen would mostly be fully packed). However on the 2nd Jan, would it still be as crowded? We can only exchange for the actual JR pass and then do whichever reservations on the 31st, but is it too late?
I'll have to confirm my hotel bookings in Osaka before I arrive so is there a possibility I can't get on the train ride to Osaka on the 2nd? Would heading on the 3rd be a better option? Preferably on 2nd because it's a better fit to our itinerary.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!!!
by Charlipoppi (guest)  

Re: Is Shinkansen to Osaka possible on 2nd Jan? 2017/12/13 17:41
Probably one of the busiest days after new years. All you can do is try.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Shinkansen to Osaka possible on 2nd Jan? 2017/12/13 17:44
you can always jump on the non-reserved seating cars. No guarantee of a seat, but if you arrive early and queue up at Tokyo Station, you could be the first few passengers on the train.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Shinkansen to Osaka possible on 2nd Jan? 2017/12/13 17:46
That's one case where a JR Pass can be a hindrance, as it severely restricts the trains you can board... As of right now, there are still some Hikari and Kodama with available reserved seats on all three days, but they may be full by the time you get there.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Online seat reservation: Hokuriku Shinkansen 2017/12/14 12:22
I plan to exchange my JR Pass at the airport once I arrive.
my family of 4 are considering heading to Osaka on the 2nd Jan.

Does anyone among the travelers hold a valid credit card of a major brand (with a magnetic stripe)?

Unlike the Tokaido Shinkansen
(Tokyo -- Nagoya -- Kyoto -- Shin-Osaka),
seats of trains on the Hokuriku Shinkansen
(Tokyo -- Nagano --Joetsumyoko -- Kanazawa (#1))
can be reserved (#2) by Japan Rail Pass travelers through the Internet, via the JR-East Train Reservation website.

This seat reservation system demands you to pick up your tickets before 21:00 Japan Standard Time of the day before departure.

To use this system, you need to hold a (free-of-charge) membership, for which you register your e-mail address and your credit card of a designated brand.
The designated brands are VIEW CARD (of JR-EAST), JCB, VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Diners Club International.
The credit card has to be with a magnetic stripe, so that the card can be recognized when you settle the payment at a JR-East window.

When you have reserved seats by this system, please make sure to bring to Japan
a printed memo of the reservation number,
the registered credit card,
and the Exchange Order for your Japan Rail Pass.

#1: On the Hokuriku Shinkansen, this JR-East system covers also the section which is operated by JR-West (Joetsumyoko -- Kanazawa).
#2: All the seats of a Kagayaki train require reservation, while a Hakutaka train has seats which are not to be reserved.

- JR-East Train Reservation
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/co...

You can travel from Tokyo Station via Kanazawa to Kyoto, Shin-Osaka or Osaka Station first by the Hokuriku Shinkansen until Kanazawa then by the conventional (= non-Shinkansen) lines, for the latter leg taking one Limited Express Thunderbird train.

Compared to one Hikari train ride on the Tokaido Shinkansen, the total required time to get to Shin-Osaka on this route is about double, but you may hope to make a side trip in the Hokuriku sub-region.

Please note that Osaka Station is not on the Shinkansen.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread