Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/15 10:04
Some context: I am a guy in America, went to a Japanese hairstylist. I speak Japanese at a toddler's level, her English is equally poor. We spoke in broken Japanglish with a ton of whipping out google translate on our phones. I found out she is a year younger than me and just moved here from Japan this month. She likes to go out, but hasn't seen or done anything due to the language barrier.

She also gave me the best haircut I've ever received and offered a 70% lifetime discount for being one of her first clients here. Being generally stoked about this and super grateful, I shot this email a few days later, trying to use phrases that will hopefully not get butchered by a translator:

---------------------
Hey [name],

I just wanted to tell you I will gladly come back. Everyday someone has complimented the haircut. Thanks for doing an awesome job!

PS. Enjoy [city] :) If you ever want to see some new places in the city and practice English, let's hang out!
---------------------
She replied:
---------------------
Thank you for contact me I am so glad you like my cut .
Please ,contact me when you need hair cut.
Ps.I want to learn English.keep in touch.
---------------------

I've been trying to guess what she originally wrote in Japanese and then translated. Particularly the Ps. part. From someone fluent in English that would be a somewhat cold response haha. Is she accepting my offer to hang out?

From my understanding, by Japanese standards, maybe it would be too forward to befriend someone you just met like this, and maybe the gender difference makes it uncomfortable. I know it's also considered rude to directly say no to an offer like this. So was that a "Yes I want to learn English WITH you, contact ME" or a "Yeah I generally want to improve my English, see you at our next appointment." I don't want to be too pushy about it if it's the latter, considering I will have to see her once a month indefinitely haha.

Thanks folks
by gesuto (guest)  

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/15 15:40
I think for being able to guess the intent of the email it would help to get the original Japanese text. Or did you guys write in English?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/15 15:45
Unfortunately all in English, otherwise I might have been able to parse it out myself :(
by gesuto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/15 17:05
It looks like a text she put together in English from the start (from my experience of seeing a lot of learners' writing).

I would wait till you go to your next appointment. The way she said please contact... sounds like she wants to stay in touch, as an acquaintance in a new city, but nothing more.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/15 17:37
It is impossible to know. Understanding context is different between 1st language users and 2nd language users of the English language. It would be a guessing game at best with what you typed.

All you can do is reply about learning more English. And be more direct about that aspect of your conversation. And hopefully you'll get a more direct answer or response so you understand the context better the second time around.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/15 23:07
The question of this thread sounds like a "love and relationship" question which I try to avoid, but anyway, the correspondence doesn't sound odd to me. You complimented her job while being friendly, and she responded positively while maintaining her professionalism.

Is she accepting my offer to hang out?

To me it didn't sound like a real offer.

From my understanding, by Japanese standards, maybe it would be too forward to befriend someone you just met like this

From my understanding, by the standards of a professional, maybe it would be too forward to go out with a first-time customer.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/16 07:03
Mm I was afraid people would see this as one of those gdoes she likes me?h posts

Itfs more about trying to accommodate cultural expectations I donft completely understand. I can see how my offer seems ambiguous or noncommittal. Where I live, Ifve both been invited and invited casually someone I just met on a job or even randomly at a shop to something and had it go great with neither party feeling weird about it

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/16 07:25
So since you felt the need to ask the question. You must be feeling "weird" about the situation then? Think about, "What makes you feel weird about the situation?" if it isn't the normal, "Does she like me?" situation?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/16 07:37
I donft feel weird about it, I wanted to know if anyone could tell from her reply if SHE feels weird about it.

If somebody sent me my own email, my response would be along the lines of gAw I really appreciate it, Ifd love to chill sometimeh, gAw thatfs sweet but I donft want to bother youh, gthanks but my schedule is so hectic right nowh, and I didnft really get any of those. Hence hoping for clarification

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/17 02:48
If I were in her shoes, I wouldn't feel "weird" about it. Like I wrote, I would simply think "That's nice, but I need to be professional." like the Scarlett Johansson character was in the movie "Hitchcock". That's all I can say for this thread. Good-bye.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/17 04:28
Uco, thanks for your constructive feedback, your viewpoint is probably right.

Although, Hitchcock was a bit of a lecherous creep in that movie haha - I'd hope that erring on the side of overly cautious and asking for advice on how not to be misconstrued as making an advance would fall in another category...

Re: Help understanding intent of email? 2017/12/19 19:53
?go for another haircut and find out?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread