Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 Days or 2 Days in Miyagi - Advice needed 2017/12/18 07:47
Hi!

I was originally planning to travel to Miyagi/Sendai for 3 days (or rather, 2 1/2) from January 3 -5, 2018. I initially planned on seeing Yamadera (January 3), Matsushima (January 4), Zao Fox Village and Sendai downtown (January 5).

However, because of the weather forecast (January 3 is predicted to have heavy snowfall in Yamadera), I thought instead of moving Yamadera and the Zao Fox Village to the same day. It would then be Matsushima (January 4) and Zao Fox Village + Yamadera (January 5), then skip Sendai downtown all together.

QUESTION 1: Is it advisable to do both Zao Fox Village and Yamadera on the same day, provided it's winter and supposed to snow?

As an alternative for January 3, I was thinking of instead going to Nikko for a day before moving on to Sendai the next day.

QUESTION 2: Is Nikko worth seeing in early January, and is it even open on the 3rd of January?

On the 6th, I'm planning to take an early train to Kanazawa and from Kanazawa the bus to Shirakawa-go then Takayama.

Advise would be much welcome! Thanks!
by D31nse (guest)  

Re: 3 Days or 2 Days in Miyagi - Advice needed 2017/12/18 11:04
QUESTION 1: Is it advisable to do both Zao Fox Village and Yamadera on the same day, provided it's winter and supposed to snow?
The main thing with Kitsune Mura is the transport to/from (I would use a taxi) - the actual time spent there does not need to be very long. If you start early, then you have another 1/2 day to do something else.

QUESTION 2: Is Nikko worth seeing in early January, and is it even open on the 3rd of January?
IMO, yes, well worth seeing - one of the highlights of Japan and the shrines can easily put most others in the shade. As for being open, New Year is one of the most important times of the year (and the official website indicates places will be open.)

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 3 Days or 2 Days in Miyagi - Advice needed 2017/12/18 17:10
Thank you very much for the fast reply!

An acquaintance of mine mentioned going instead to Zao Onsen on the 3rd of January to see the Juhyo. What would you say is a better and more advisable experience - a daytrip in Nikko (to see the temples) or to Zao Onsen for the Juhyo?

Thank you in advance!
by Denise (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 Days or 2 Days in Miyagi - Advice needed 2017/12/18 22:27
I've been to Zao in the Spring and Nikko in the Summer so not quite the same seasons but I've been to both locations. I enjoyed my time in both a lot and I do want to go back to both. In Winter it is easier to get to Zao as there are direct buses from Sendai I learned on this forum vs. needing to go to Yamagata first. Though since you are going to Yamadera, it's part way to Yamagata.

I guess for which is "better" it would depend on your interests and what else you are doing during the trip. Zao has some fantastic onsen, skiing and snow monsters. Nikko has beautiful temples and shrines. There are onsen in Yumoto and Kinugawa but it's unlikely you could go there and to the temples and continue onto Sendai all in one day.

by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread