Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stops between Tokyo - Kyoto 2017/12/19 00:39
Hi,

I am currently planning my 3rd trip to Japan next year in April (5th - 25th).
I'll be arriving in Haneda on April 5th in the morning and I have to be in Osaka in the evening of 11th.
From 11th to 20th I am walking the Kumano Kodo Trail.
I am looking for things to do/visit before and after.

I've done the major tourist thingies in the area (Kyoto, Himeji, Nara, Miyajima, Hiroshima, Tokyo, etc.) but never managed to visit the Hakone area.
Would Hakone be better on my way down to Osaka or on the way back from Ise (where my hike will end)?
How much time do you need? Is there anything else to do besides the loop?

And what do I do on the other days?
I was thinking maybe stopping a night (+ most of the day) each at Mishima, Shizuoka and Nagoya on my way. Is this a good idea or are there better places to visit? Also,

Current Itinery:

5th arrive Haneda at 10:50 (send main luggage to Osaka) & travel to Mishima
6th look around Mishima & climb Mt. Kanuki & travel to Shizuoka
7th look around Shizuoka (Shimizu Port & Miho Beach) & travel to Nagoya
8th look around Nagoya (Nagoya/Inuyama Castle, Tokugawa Museum, Toyota Museum and maybe Railway museum)
9th another day in Nagoya?
10th Travel to Kyoto - meet with friend
11th 2nd Day in Kyoto - meet with friend? & travel to Osaka
12th-18th Osaka & Kumano Kodo
19th travel from Ise to Hakone area
20th Hakone Loop
21st Hakone? (Maybe split loop into 2 days?)
22nd ?
23rd ?
24th ?
25th flight back from Haneda at 12:35

I plan to do the alps area on another trip, so Takayama, Kanazawa, Shirakawago, etc. are not on the list :).

Also, does it make sense for me to get the Rail Pass (or to be precise two 7-day passes)?

So, any ideas for the days I am missing or any other comments? :)

Thanks for your time!
by Julia (guest)  

Re: Stops between Tokyo - Kyoto 2017/12/19 14:07
I wouldnt stop at Nagoya, personally but I'd stop at Maibara and spend the night at Hikone. Hikone is an awesome little town with a great castle overlooking Lake Biwa.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stops between Tokyo - Kyoto 2017/12/19 14:50
with your extra days at the end of your trip, you could always head up to Takayama , Kanazawa, etc. Although you'd probably want to do that right after Kyoto, and not after Hakone.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stops between Tokyo - Kyoto 2017/12/19 16:02
You have many options. Here a few:
- go to inner Nara prefecture after Ise to see Imaicho, Hasedera (you can go there early morning for prayers), UNESCO heritage temples. I would assign at least 2 days to this region.
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/11/day-41-nara-to-yamatoyag...
- as previous poster said, a stop along Lake Biwa is a good idea
- Your 1 day in Nagoya is very busy. For the program you listed, I think you need two days.
- what about Tsumago and Magome?
- what about a stay in an onsen town or Ryokan. Eg on Izu peninsula or any other place you fancy on your way back to Tokyo. Or directly after your hike? It must be great to relax a day or two in hot water after all that hiking.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Stops between Tokyo - Kyoto 2017/12/19 16:23
You have enough time to travel elsewhere other than the Hiroshima to Tokyo Line. Lots of wonderful places in Kyushu and Tohoku if you are willing to break the normal tourist mold.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stops between Tokyo - Kyoto 2017/12/20 00:48
Thanks for your input (I completely forgot about Biwako!)

I tweaked my schedule, trying to have fewer accommodation changes and also mixing slower with busier days. I am skipping Hakone (again) and am planning a daytrip from Shizuoka to Sumatakyo (and the Yume no Tsuribashi) as well as Okuoikojo (is this doable in 1 day? I can't find the bus schedule for Senzu to Sumatakyo online :( ) and hope I'll be able to see Fuji-san from Shizuoka or Mishima.

Does this schedule look OK?

4/5 Haneda - Shizuoka (Kuno-zan - Miho no Matsubara - Shimizu Port)
4/6 Shizuoka - Daytrip: Senzu - Sumatakyo - Yume no Tsuribashi - Okuoikojo
4/7 Shizuoka - Daytrip: Mishima (Skywalk)
4/8 Shizuoka (finish looking around if first day is not enough) - Hikone - Kyoto
4/9 Kyoto - Daytrip: Shiga - walk along beach to Hira?
4/10 Kyoto - Meet friend
4/11 Kyoto - Meet friend again? - Osaka
4/12 - 4/19 Kumano Kodo; ends at Ise - Transfer to Nagoya
4/20- 4/21 Nagoya (Nagoya and/or Inuyama Castle, Tokugawa Museum, Toyota Museum, Railway museum) - Nikko
4/22 -4/23 Nikko (21/22: Shrines & Temples, Kanmangafuchi Abyss; 23: Ryuzu Waterfall - Chuzenjiko ) - Tokyo
4/24 Tokyo: Shopping
4/25 return flight

I am now wondering if I should exchange Nagoya for inner Nara... but I will have seen quite a few temples, shrines, nature in the area already on the hike - I worry that I will not appreciate it as much without a bit of a city break (which is why I thought Nagoya and some museums would be good :))

Looking forward to any input you might have!

Thanks again for your time.

Julia

PS: I plan on doing the Nakasendo Trail (Tsumago/Magome), a hike around Izu Peninsula, visiting the alps area (Kanazawa, Shirukawago, etc.), etc. on seperate trips in the future - I will definitely come again and again and again, so I'll focus on smaller areas for now :)
by Bibliocharylodis rate this post as useful

Re: Stops between Tokyo - Kyoto 2017/12/20 06:46
I think Nagoya would make a good counterpoint to the rest of your trip. We found it to be a very pleasant city. Consider booking into a free Toyota factory tour, although this would take up a good part of a day. There is also Meiji Mura not too far.
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread