Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/22 17:42
Hello,

are there any pagodas open to public? All pagodas so far were accessible just from the outside, I'd like to step inside the pagoda and go up to enjoy the view.

Thank you for your replies.
by mikiqex  

Re: Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/22 20:49
That is not possible. It's structurally not viable or religiously not acceptable.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/22 20:51
Thank you. I thought something along those lines...
by mikiqex rate this post as useful

Re: Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/23 02:42
The 3-story pagoda at Seiganto Temple (aka, Takimi Temple) in Wakayama Prefecture (often photographed with the Nachi Falls) was rebuilt in 1972 with modern materials (concrete and steel), and has an elevator you can ride to the top. I was disappointed to see that.

by Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/23 09:54
I have seen inside one pagoda (Toji in Kyoto) on my recent visit earlier this month - it had been ages since I was last there. It is a very sacred place so looking (and praying) were allowed. Most of the pagoda I know house special religious objects so off-limits. (also some don't have stairs or windows, so going inside would be tricky)
I have observed that the pagoda at Nikko is sometimes "open", but I have not checked what you get to see there because there are a lot of other things to view.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/23 20:00
Thank you both. I totally forgot about Nikko, it really looked like they sometimes allow people to get in, the lady in a ticket booth specifically told me the admission is for the outside only.
by mikiqex rate this post as useful

Re: Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/24 12:27
I know this is somewhat different, but there are some pagoda structures with spiral staircase inside, one of the well-known ones is as follows:
https://www.ana-cooljapan.com/destinations/fukushima/sazaedo
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/24 16:55
Yasaka Pagoda in Kyoto is permanently open to the public. But you cannot go up very high. Most other pagodas are never open or only on temporary, special openings, such as the ones at Toji and Nikko.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Visit pagoda inside and go up 2017/12/25 13:47
Chorakuji in northern Hyogo, which houses the Tajima Daibutsu, has a modern five-story pagoda that you can climb to the top of. It has wonderful views, but the location is very inconvenient; it's hard to get to without a car, and the closest major tourist destination is Kinosaki, which is still close to an hour away. But from the Kansai area it might be doable as a day trip! I highly recommend the temple as a whole.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread