Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Importing a phone to Japan 2017/12/25 14:03
Hi all,

I've been wondering about this, there was one post before but I only found vague answer on the post.
I have a plan to change my phone to oneplus 5t but it's limited in online marketplace, has anyone ever buying a phone from global marketplace (geekbuying, lazada, amazon, ebay) and send it to your place in japan? Is it legal or illegal? Suppose there would be extra tax or tariff, do you know how much?
Based on the previous post, you will pay it cash on the delivery but i wonder how much because if it's too big (30% or something) then I guess it would fail the purpose.
Any kind of information would help, thank you very much!!
Merry Christmas!
by ronald (guest)  

Re: Importing a phone to Japan 2017/12/25 20:04
Of course it's legal, Japan is not under a trade embargo.

Typically there is no tariff on electronics, only the 8% consumption tax. If you order from Amazon, they will charge you that at the time of purchase so you have nothing more to do.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Importing a phone to Japan 2017/12/25 23:00
trade itself is legal.
but, using unauthorized phone in Japan is illegal. the phones must have 技適マーク.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Importing a phone to Japan 2017/12/26 09:01
It might be legal, but you might run into a different issue - the battery. Some stuff I buy with lithium batteries get delivered no problem, but other times I have had orders cancelled from the supplier because they say they cannot send the battery. I receive a nice note along the lines of We are very sorry to inform you that unfortunately we are unable to ship Lithium batteries to your country.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Importing a phone to Japan 2017/12/27 12:08
Hi all,

Thank you very much for all of the information, it's been so helpful.. :)
Have a nice day ahead, cheers!
by Ronald M (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread