Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass or JR Pass 2017/12/26 17:30
I need help figuring out which passes to get. I can get one Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass (good for 7 days) with a 7 days JR pass for my 2 week trip or a 14 days JR Pass.

I am spending one week in Kyoto where I want to use the Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass to go to Himeji, Kanasawa, Osaka and Nara. Then use the JR Pass to go to Hiroshima (from Kyoto) then head to Tokyo where I will do day trips to Mito, Nikko, Ikaho Onsen, Kamakura and Hakone. I will be leaving from Tokyo.

Is there something the Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass has that I can't do with the JR Pass or vise versa? The cost of a 14 days JR Pass will be about the same as the Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass + the 7 days JR Pass.

Thank you for any help or advise.
by toobularone (guest)  

Re: Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass or JR Pass 2017/12/26 18:31
Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass has that I can' do with the JR Pass

For your itinerary, mostly the Nozomi and Mizuho Shinkansen between Shin-Osaka and Okayama. It also has the trains around Amanohashidate and some non-JR trains in Wakayama but you won't be going there.

On the other hand, it doesn't have the Shinkansen between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka (you must use ordinary trains instead).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass or JR Pass 2017/12/26 19:42
Kansai-Hokuriku Pass covers a few extra private railway lines. But from your itinerary, it doesn't look like you will use those.

JR 14 day pass = 46,XXX yen
JR 7 day pass = 29,XXX yen + JR Kansai-Hokuriku pass = 15,000 yen.

One option works out 2000 yen cheaper.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread