Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Debit card for Tokyo hotels? 2017/12/26 19:37
I'll be staying at a business hotel in Shinjuku a week from now, and payment is upon check-in. Their website states that they take VISA/Mastercard, but I don't own a Credit Card. Only 1 VISA and 1 MC Debit card. I'm a student so I'm not gonna be getting a CC anytime soon. Tried to check with hotel, but nuances in language when explaining between debit/credit and language barrier proved to be an issue.

Is this alright? Most people who I've spoken said that as long as there's VISA/Mastecard on the card face it doesn't matter if it's debit or credit, but I just wanna be 100% sure.
by KJ (guest)  

Re: Debit card for Tokyo hotels? 2017/12/27 01:43
Have you called or emailed the hotel? There's no way that any of us can possibly know what payment processing system they use or what forms of payment they accept.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debit card for Tokyo hotels? 2017/12/27 02:50
just offer those cards, if they don't accept it, just pay in cash, you can also use those cards in ATM in 7-11 for cash withdrawn.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Debit card for Tokyo hotels? 2017/12/27 05:20
Checking with the bank of your debit cards would probably be better. Some banks allow debit cards to be used internationally, some don't.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Debit card for Tokyo hotels? 2017/12/27 09:50
It does matter if it is credit or debit and some hotels do turn down payment by debit card. (direct experience)
What is the hotel?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Debit card for Tokyo hotels? 2017/12/28 17:21
I had no troubles in hotels with my Czech debit card (I think I used MC), but this really depends on your bank and their POS. If your card worked abroad before, I'd say go for it.

Nevertheless, if you have a place to buy yens "cheaply" (no commission, good exchange rate), I'd recommend just to use cash. You can pay for the hotel in advance and if your card works, spend the cash on everything else during your stay. If it doesn't, pay the hotel cash and try to pay everything else by your card (to avoid ATM fees, at least that's my case).

Btw., when I was in the US, I always selected "credit" for my debit card with no problem whatsoever.
by mikiqex rate this post as useful

Re: Debit card for Tokyo hotels? 2017/12/29 11:49
Thanks for the replies! @JapanCustomTours I'll drop you a PM
by myjk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread