Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

tax free 2017/12/29 23:35
Hi, There!

I have bought some clothes tax free in Japan, and the store stapled a paper in my passport; so I have some doubts.
1) should I remove this paper?
2) what am I suposed tô do at the airport?
3) Where? (I will take a local flight from Okinawa tô Tokyo and then a flight tô US (connection))
3) May I use these clothes in Japan?
4) Is it ok to check them, or should I take as a carry on?
by sergio (guest)  

Re: tax free 2017/12/30 12:02
1) No.
2) Keep it in your passport - when you leave Japan, customs officers are supposed to remove it.
3) When you leave the country.
3) Officially, no, because you were able to buy them in Japan tax-free on the assumption that the items would be taken outside Japan.
4) Checking them is OK - upon departure from Japan, customs officers do not really match the items with the description on paper (as done in some other countries).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: tax free 2017/12/30 12:23
Note that you must remember to visit the customs office before passing through immigration on your way out, as custom checks are not automatic.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: tax free 2017/12/31 00:03
When I had my passport checked, they never removed them, i think there is suppose to be a counter you must go to and have them removed, once I past the immirgration, I asked them where I should go for these, I went to the office on the right hand side, a personnel say it should be handed in before passing through immirgration, but since I past, he say I can remove them and throw them away once I leave Japan.

4th time in Japan, not once I had been checked by custom, may be it could depend on the time of leaving, all 4 time it was around 23:30.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: tax free 2017/12/31 15:52

4th time in Japan, not once I had been checked by custom, may be it could depend on the time of leaving, all 4 time it was around 23:30.
Same experiences, 20 times leaving at different hours, never once got asked and nor checked.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: tax free 2017/12/31 20:28
May be they are short of man power, and since the tax free process is already done, why waste time, just let people through.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread