Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2017/12/30 21:16
Hi

Do any of you know or have purchase electronics at Mega Donki/don quijote which can be used overseas i.e. Australia?

Wanted to buy a Panasonic hairdryer and maybe some other appliances
by Earthgurl (guest)  

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2017/12/31 10:07
Australia has Type I mains sockets, 230V, 50Hz. Japan has Type A & B mains sockets, 100v, 50/60Hz.

If you really want to get stuff, read the info on the side of the box ('100-240V, 50/60 Hz' is OK) and buy an adaptor.

In general, it's not worth doing this - it's extra expense and hassle, your guarantee will effectively be worthless and Japanese electronics aren't particularly cheap in Japan (they can actually be cheaper abroad). The instructions will be JP only, as may be any text on LCD displays/buttons/menus. The duty you won't pay at the store, you may have to pay on returning home, at customs (keep the receipts).

The Japanese FM band is unusual, and you'll have to check specific models for cellphone compatibility.
by David (UK) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2017/12/31 10:19
I'd like to add to the above info also.

JP products tend to be made for the JP market only. So you'll find 99% of products to be 100V only. Very little JP electronic product come with switch mode 100-240V transformers.

In saying that though. It will depend on the product. Some may have switch mode transformers, which means you just need a JP to AU plug convertor. Some may have a removable plug/transformer and you can buy a plug/transformer with the correct voltage and amps output for the product.

I have a few electronic devices from Japan. And I had done the later for those devices.

In the end you need to do your homework on it and make sure you read the outside of the boxes. Although they'll be in Japanese, it is easy to check if you can see a 100V or a 100-240V text on it.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2018/1/9 06:35
Thanks David and hakata14.

Ended buying my hairdryer for overseas use in Yodobashi
by earthgurl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2018/1/9 08:14
I looked into buying a Panasonic hairdryer for use in Australia too, but it just become too much hassle with the need for a transformer. You risk blowing the heating element otherwise.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2018/1/9 10:53
Hi,

The hair dryer i bought has a switch mode 100V - 240V, so all i need is a JP to AU plug converter
by earthgurl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2018/1/9 16:26
Thanks for letting me know! Might need to consider this again for my upcoming trip in July...

Did you buy the fancy Panasonic one? I forget the name, but it came in different colours and was worth a few hundred Australia dollars, from memory.

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2018/1/9 17:06
Yes I bought the Panasonic nanoe, but the model they had for oversea use was NA59 only. The latest model is NA95(I think) only for Japan use. But I saw narita airport was selling the NA95 for oversea use at 24K yen
by Earthgurl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2018/1/9 17:11
Thanks!! Much appreciated. Time to save up!

Re: Electronics at donki shibuya for overseas use 2018/1/12 09:07
I also bought a Panasonic hairdryer with 100-240v in Japan and all I add is the adapter plug. Had it for ages and works very well. As well I have a hand held massager for my back, same 100-240v, plus I use plug adapter. My bread maker is the same but did buy it at LAOX for international use. Choose wisely.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread